Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return Rejected B/C Spouse AGI From Last Year Is Wrong

I tried to e-file both Fed and State married filing jointly returns a little while ago.  Both were rejected.  State was rejected b/c Federal was rejected.  The reason given for the Federal rejection is that the amount I listed for my spouse's prior year AGI is wrong.  Here's the full text of the explanation in the email I received: "IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database."  (When I opened TT to address this error, TT narrowed the problem down to the AGI, not the PIN.)

But the spouse AGI from 2018 is correct.  I triple checked it.  (I listed the same AGI number for both of us since it's a married filing jointly return ... and there was no error on the AGI amount I listed for myself).  Also, I obtained a transcript online from the IRS re: the 2018 return and the AGI number matches.

I repeated the process and e-filed again.  Same result.  Rejection.

No name changes. No SS# changes.  No address changes.  No proof of ID (drivers license #) changes.

Both 2019 and 2018 returns were done on TT, but last year we had to paper file b/c my wife mistakenly had too much $ contributed to her 401k.  Don't see why paper filing last year would matter, but just adding it as an FYI.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Sorry to ask but did your wife die in 2019?  There seems to be a problem with that.

Nope, she's alive and kicking!

Hello out there.  As the OP,  I wanted to give this open question one bump in hopes that at least one of the experts out there might be able to assist.  Being required to file by mail in this case just seems ridiculous to me.  Between some of the confusion caused using the program and now this, I'm just not a fan of TT.  Thanks.

I am having the same issue filing my parents 2019 tax return - and my father did pass away in 2019!  Is this just a turbo tax bug?

Thanks!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@carriemomdf If enough time has passed for Social Security Administration to have done so, the social security number is locked and the return must be sent by regular mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

carriemomdf,

Had same problem. Ended up having to use a different tax program FREETAXUSA dot com to e-file successfully. 

Look up other posts regarding this known problem. 

The only solution to get your federal and state tax returns successfully accepted via E-FILING is at FREETAXUSA dot com and not use TurboTax.  You do not have to print out a TurboTax created paper tax return and mail it in and even with certified mail with return receipt the IRS may lose your tax return (this happened once when an exception required a paper filing; the IRS finally acknowledged they lost it and accepted another filing). 

The only difference in completing TurboTax vs Freetaxusa tax returns is that FREETAXUSA asks you to input BOTH your state ID and your deceased spouse's state ID numbers/driver's license numbers along with the prior year AGI.   

TurboTax only allows for one person of the joint return's state ID entered in, but because a spouse died, the IRS wants to verify BOTH spouses' ID numbers.  

TurboTax is supposedly aware of this problem, but they shirk fixing their software and ask people to just mail a paper return.  

Turbotax spits out the same error for countless other longtime TT users: "Prior Year AGI Incorrect" when the AGI is correct.

The ONLY difference in the tax returns created by FREETAXUSA vs Turbotax:

* Freetaxusa inputs 1. prior year's AGI and 2. enter surviving spouse's State ID/driver's license number, issue date, and expiration date. 3. enter deceased spouse's State ID/driver's license number, issue date, and expiration date.  

Voila, Freetaxusa E-FILED returns were accepted by the IRS and state tax board within half an hour.

* Turbotax: 1. prior year's AGI. 2. Asks only for surviving spouse's State ID and not the deceased spouse's.  The IRS is making an exception for returns with a deceased spouse--they want to verify BOTH SPOUSES' ID info and NOT JUST ONE SPOUSE.

I have multiple elderly relatives who used TurboTax first via their CPAs and now on their own.  Never encountered a problem e-filing until this one time to help my elderly widower father.  

E-filing is the preferred option for most and customers are willing to pay the fee for getting quick IRS acknowledgement of acceptance of the returns.  

Going to the post office and mailing a paper return is not allowed nor advisable for the 7 million people in the SF Bay Area who are under government-mandated shelter-in-place restrictions because of the high number of Covid19 cases and deaths (and many more unknown cases because of insufficient test kits).  They only allow us to go out for medical reasons and food shopping, and if taking the dog for a walk, we must keep six feet away from any other person.  E-filing is the way to go under these circumstances.

As noted in an early reply, no, my spouse is still alive.  

I know there is an existing TT issue with deceased spouses, but I (the OP) have a different issue.  My e-file attempts get rejected for "incorrect last year's AGI" even though my spouse is still living.  

Help!

Did you file a 2018 Joint return?  And using the same AGI for each of you?  Try using 0.  If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail it.

Yes, we filed joint returns for tax year 2018 and 2019.   When trying to e-file this year, I used the correct 2018 AGI for both me and my spouse from 2018 (same amount for each of us b/c joint return in 2018) as one of the required ID requests.  And the e-filing was rejected by the IRS b/c of my spouse's 2018 AGI.  Absolutely crazy ridiculous.

Why would using zero work?  Can you help me out on the logic here (just b/c that's obviously incorrect for both of us).  Thanks.

Pat43

My husband died last May.

If TurboTax knows this is a problem, why did they let me pay to e-file my state return?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Pat43 If enough time has passed for Social Security Administration to have done so, the social security number is locked and the return must be sent by regular mail. TurboTax would not have this information.

kpopik

I'm having the same issues. My spouse's AGI keeps getting rejected. We filed married filing separately last year, and are filing married filing joint this year since we have moved across country. Is there a Turbo Tax bug that is causing my spouses AGI to not be accepted. We both filed using Turbo Tax for the last 20+ years, and this is a problem for us filing our 2019 return. We are taking the AGI from Turbo Tax for 2018 for both my spouse and I, but are still being rejected. This just seems like a Turbo Tax bug if you ask me. I really don't want to file a paper return for the federal and state, especially since we have already paid to eFile the state. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Your situation requires you to contact support for further assistance: TurboTax Support Contact Us Page – Get Help from TurboTax

FYI from the OP to anyone reading this with the same problem.

After contacting TT support twice by phone, I ended up with no resolution to my problem and have to file both state and federal returns by mail.  

When I asked for a credit for the separate $24.99 state e-file fee, I was told "no."  I asked to speak to a manager level support person and was told after being put on hold that the answer to my request was still "no." (I filed a dispute with my credit card company later, noting that I'd paid a fee for a service I did not receive and I obtained a credit that way.) 

This was a completely frustrating experience and has me seriously questioning whether I'll ever use TT again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies