turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected Federal personal return

This is the first year I have e-filed any TT return after using TT for 35 years and I must say it is a lot more effort than printing the filings and mailing them in to the IRS.

I have filed my personal Federal return five times and been rejected 5 times. Each time TT says the problem is fixed with the AGI/PIN, and it is not. I also tried filing with a 0 AGI, because the IRS lost our 2019 filing but cashed the check attached to the filing, and we had to refile 2019 in Nov of 2020. The last rejection said the AGI for my wife was incorrect. In a joint filing return? My wife passed away in Jan of 2020 so her only income was one month of SS. She did not have an AGI.

I'm guessing my only alternative is to print the return and mail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We understand you are having an experience with entering your AGI. Please follow the instructions in this link. If this does not resolve your issue, what is the exact message you are getting?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We understand you are having an experience with entering your AGI. Please follow the instructions in this link. If this does not resolve your issue, what is the exact message you are getting?

I e-filed the personal Federal return again with an AGI of $0 and this time it was accepted. 5 or 6 times e-filing seems a little excessive. Still waiting on an S-Corp federal acceptance and a personal NM state acceptance. Waiting on filing an S-Corp  CA because it was originally rejected. I think next year I will stick with the tried and true way and mail all 5 returns.

Thank you for your effort with assistance.

TurboTax is giving some options to try... such as using a PIN instead of previous year AGI, or other remedies. TurboTax is also stating that some problems are internal to either IRS, Fed gov, or State and may not be able to be fixed. So a last resort option is to paper file your tax return.

Many people keep entering the correct 2019 AGI and E-filing, but it keeps getting rejected. It won't hurt to keep trying many times to indirectly reset the glitch (if it is a glitch). Fix your return on TurboTax. Or go to Review. Enter your identifying info such as your 2019 AGI or Identification. Enter an intentional wrong number such as $0.00 AGI. E-file. The tax return is rejected usually within 12 hours. Go back into TurboTax and Fix or go to Review. Now enter the correct information, such as your correct 2019 AGI. Now E-FILE your tax return. IRS accepts your tax return. It doesn't make much sense, but some people have reported success basically by intentionally creating a new IRS reject code or the same reject code but with a different value entered in and fixing it again. Keep trying something different. It doesn't hurt to have your tax return rejected 10 times. It only takes a day or so to try many times. Maybe later an update will fix the numerous issues with 2020 tax software. Last resort is paper file

I have now filed my 2020 taxes electronically 4 times and each time the return has been rejected.  The error given is my 2019 AGI does not match the IRS records for 2019.  I have input the  AGI exactly as it reads on last year's 1040, but it still gets rejected.  I mailed my taxes last year but that should not matter as the AGI is still the same.  Is there a known software error that is causing this or will I be forced into filing by mail?

May not have a lot of advice but I can tell you that the 4th and 5th time I filed my Federal personal I entered a 0 for the AGI and it went through on the 5th try. Still have two returns (Federal S-Corp and NM State) stuck in the pending status (3 days now). If you haven't tried the 0 AGI yet, give it a try.

Next year I'm going back to paper returns.

my federal tax return was reject, quote ' the primary taxpayer's 

AGI or self select PIN from last year does not match IRS records'  I have used TT many times and not had this problem.  My husband died in July and I am filing jointly as his survivor.  The AGI number is correct from the 1919 tax return and the self select pin is one that TT generates.  TT tells me to print return and file by mail, I am reluctant to do this since electronic filing is much more convenient.  What prompts this rejection?, the death of a spouse or perhaps the vastly different income between 2019 and 2020?  In 1919 we had much higher income because of RMD withdrawal and higher pension income.  In 2020 I elected not to do an RMD so income was very low.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to correct a rejected return. 

If you need assistance with your AGI please click https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/00/25947. 

If you still need assistance filing your return, please contact customer support. 

swflare

After two rejections, I tried the -0- for the 2019 AGI and it worked!! 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

So glad to hear it worked for you. 

How do I fix the rejected return

I need to talk to a person none the replies answer my problem

My IRA was rejected and find out how to fix it

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions below to fix a rejected return.

How do I fix a rejected return? - TurboTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies