suzannehamm13

Received notice from IRS saying taxes owed were the amount owed on Line 16 of my Form 1040-SR, not counting the Federal income tax withheld on line 17. How do I respond?

The amount the IRS says I owe is the exact amount showed as federal taxes withheld on Form 1099-R I received from my husband's pension.

You did file a joint return correct ?    If so  reply back saying you disagree with their findings and send proof of the withholding ... keep the note short, sweet and to the point.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

call the number on the notice. there is the possibility the payor mailed it in and either the IRS lost it or has not yet processed it or maybe there was an error in the SSN the payor had on the 1099.  when you call, if they can't locate it ask how you should proceed.  they may want you to send them form 4852 along with a copy of the 1099R.  do ASAP because the IRS usually wants a response to the notice in 60 days.