turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On 2019 tax returns my parents claimed me as a dependent and I didn’t get a stimulus check but this year I claimed myself as an independent and got a $1800 credit. Will that be direct deposited separately or added to my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On 2019 tax returns my parents claimed me as a dependent and I didn’t get a stimulus check but this year I claimed myself as an independent and got a $1800 credit. Will that be direct deposited separately or added to my refund?

@samanthawitcher3 wrote:

So should it have already been added after I have filed or will it be added when it deposits? 

It is on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30 as a tax credit.  Your federal tax refund is on Form 1040 Line 34, the tax credit is included in this amount and that is the amount that will be deposited into your bank account if you selected direct deposit on your tax return.

Go back to your online account and view your form 1040.

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The stimulus payment for which you are eligible to receive will be entered on your 2020 federal tax return as a tax credit on Form 1040 Line 30.

The TurboTax program will ask about stimulus payments in the Federal Review section of the program.

But will I get it direct deposited separately from my tax returns or added to my tax returns? I’m confused. 

@samanthawitcher3 wrote:

But will I get it direct deposited separately from my tax returns or added to my tax returns? I’m confused. 

It will be included on your tax return as a Federal Tax Refund.  You have to select how you want to receive the refund.  Either as a direct deposit by entering your bank routing and account number in the File section on Step 2 or as check in the mail.

It will either add to your regular tax refund or reduce any tax due on your return.   So if you owe tax on your income you won't get it all back.

So should it have already been added after I have filed or will it be added when it deposits? 

@samanthawitcher3 wrote:

It is on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30 as a tax credit.  Your federal tax refund is on Form 1040 Line 34, the tax credit is included in this amount and that is the amount that will be deposited into your bank account if you selected direct deposit on your tax return.

Go back to your online account and view your form 1040.

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies