turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My turbotax desktop says that my "amended" return was accepted. I am trying to convince the tax advocates that I have filed my amended return. How to get documentation?

The desktop says "amended federal e-file ACCEPTED."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

My turbotax desktop says that my "amended" return was accepted. I am trying to convince the tax advocates that I have filed my amended return. How to get documentation?

Well--that makes no sense since amended returns have to be mailed, and they are not "accepted" or "rejected" the way an e-filed original return is accepted or rejected.  When did you amend it and how did you get it to the IRS?  

In a very recent development, it will be possible to e-file an amended return for 2019 soon, but not yet.  See below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/can-i-e-file-my-1040x-to-amend-my-return/01/26008

So not sure what you did or what you are seeing.  Are you really sure you are seeing the word "amended" in that message?  Or does it say the return was accepted?

Until e-filing becomes available for your 1040X here is the information that would pertain to the amended return you seem to think you filed:

The only way to file an amended tax return is to prepare a 1040X and print, sign. and mail it.  If you did something else, like try to e-file a change, the changes were NOT TRANSMITTED.

You can amend a tax return after it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  You must work from your return exactly as it was when you first filed it. If you changed anything, change it back to the way it was when you originally filed it, before you follow the steps to amend. Follow the TT instructions to amend a tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...

Wait about 3 weeks and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

And here is what is happening with amended returns that have been mailed this year:

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Efiling the 2019 amended returns thru TT was supposed to happen by the end of the week  so it may be possible that you actually got the amended efiled ... you may be the first ... so it is unknown  how the system will work ... normally when you efile you get 2 emails ... one for the transmission and the other for the acceptance or rejection.  

Your return's electronic filing status history records all e-filing activity related to the return, including the Electronic Postmark. You can print it out if needed. 

TurboTax Online

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp  -- enter the Social Security number of the first taxpayer on the return and the ZIP code to retrieve your filing status history.

TurboTax CD/Download software

(Windows) From the TurboTax File menu, select Electronic Filing > Show Electronic Filing Status History.
(Mac) From the TurboTax File menu, select Check E-Filing Status.

Or it may be still showing you the status of the original return.  What does it say exactly?  Maybe post a screen shot without any Personal Info on it.  Then if it is for the amended status we will know how it looks.

debishop

My tax information also says that the IRS has accepted my amended return?  Has it been filed or is this an error?  I am being denied the PUI due to the lack of information from the IRS.  I tried to download but it will not download??  Wjhat do I do Now?

TaxACT just issued an update that supports e-File of 1040-X.

Did TurboTax give you an update recently?

I have a similar problem. I did not amend anything but I just printed and later chose to e-file. Is this a big issue? TurboTax shows that my amended return has been accepted.

Thanks,

Suman

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@sumanager56 I believe what you mean is you filed an amended return but never filed an original return? It may be processed if it is a simple return, as the IRS may be able to verify the accuracy of the numbers on it by comparing it to their records. But it may still be returned to you as it is normally used to correct a return that was already filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi All,

Thank you for the valuable comments. I am unsure how I went back and refiled it electronically. Because of some bug in the turbo software that didn't allow me to submit my tax application, I initially planned to print and mail the document. Now, I already have my federal tax refund deposited in my account. How do I know if I still need to submit the printed copy of my tax return, or maybe IRS will still consider my e-filed application without requiring my mail copy?

Thanks,

Suman

If your federal refund is already in your account, then you do not have to print and mail anything.  You can print the return and save it with your 2020 tax records and receipts.

You would not have received a refund if your federal return had not been accepted.

@sumanager56

Mag8
Returning Member

I filed an amended return in April irs says its still processing but when I check turbo tax it says accepted and has a dollar amount but when I call turbo tax they have no record I checked my file and my added dependant isn't no where to be seen what is going on

Yes ... it was ACCEPTED  FOR  PROCESSING and processing of amended returns  are taking 6 months or more this year so  you have some time to wait.  Hopefully you did not amend the return before the original was fully processed and the original refund was in hand or you paid the original balance due ... if you did not then the amendment in the system can slow everything up further. 

If you used the downloaded version then your situation cannot be seen by anyone at TT so they cannot help. 

Keep checking the IRS site here once a week :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

The where's my amended return website says my return was received on April 5th. Still haven't received it. Over 24 weeks now. The IRS referred me to the taxpayer service, which gave me a name and nu.ber for a local advocate. Does this ever work?

@Tragikomik 

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies