turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wbooth

My return has an error and I would like to amend it. How do I do so using Turbo Tax?

Turbo Tax failed to prompt me to include Social Security income and my return is thus incorrect.  How can I fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My return has an error and I would like to amend it. How do I do so using Turbo Tax?

Did you already file and it was Accepted?

You cannot cancel or change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

I already received my federal return and realized I could claim my donations and would like to amend my return. I completed the donations section so TurboTax had me getting another $121 but I can't seem to amend it cause it says the form isn't completed yet. When will I be able to amend my 2020 taxes?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@dalerdahl54 Turbo Tax anticipates that form 1040-X will be available towards the ends of March; please check back periodically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much. Do you know if I will just need to add the donation page and complete on-line or will I have to do a paper copy?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax Help article for guidance in amending your 2020 return:  How do I amend my 2020 return?  You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return

@dalerdahl54

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies