turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brandik40

My husband was on unemployment an they didn’t take out taxes he got 25,666 an we just did our taxes an they took like almost $4000 how is that correct

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

My husband was on unemployment an they didn’t take out taxes he got 25,666 an we just did our taxes an they took like almost $4000 how is that correct

It is quite possible that your refund reduced by that much.  The tax on unemployment is not a flat tax.  It is based on your individual tax rate.  If you did not have any amount withheld from your unemployment, you will have to pay the amount that should have been withheld.  

Also, credits could have changed, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, or the Child Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Unemployment compensation is taxable, and is added to your other (Joint) income to determine your taxable income.  How much was the total income for 2020 for both of you?

brandik40

I think it was like 53000 an 25000 was unemployment 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

It is quite possible that your refund reduced by that much.  The tax on unemployment is not a flat tax.  It is based on your individual tax rate.  If you did not have any amount withheld from your unemployment, you will have to pay the amount that should have been withheld.  

Also, credits could have changed, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, or the Child Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies