Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jakearoo

My Electronic Filing Instructions page showed wrong refund amount compared to the actual return

My tax return was efiled and accepted early May. When I check the IRS refund status, I noticed that the Electronic Filing page that Turbo Tax prepared has a lower figure for the refund than the actual return does that follows. It appears that IRS has the lower figure as that is the only one that verifies that my return is still pending. If I use the actual refund due, the system cannot find me. I am assuming my return is pending due to the volume of returns plus this error.  Is there anything I should be doing to get it fixed? Odd that the Electronic Filing letter has all the right numbers but then has an incorrect refund amount compared to the actual return produced on Turbo Tax.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My Electronic Filing Instructions page showed wrong refund amount compared to the actual return

Which line of Form 1040 are you calling the "actual refund"? Line 34 is the total overpayment. That is not necessarily your refund.

What are the exact amounts on your Form 1040 lines 34, 35a, 36, and 38? What is the exact refund amount on the filing instructions page? Line 34 should be the sum of lines 35a, 36, and 38. Line 35a is your refund.

IRS doesn't care what your summary page says.

Don't file an incorrect Form 1040.

Jakearoo

34 is 9855, 35a is 9855, 36 is 0, 38 is 0

And the filing instruction page says "Amount to be Refunded $ 9,306.00"

The only figure that works on the IRS refund status page is to use the 9306 so that is why I feel that Turbo Tax sent in that figure which does not agree with the figure on the actual tax return. I have used Turbo Tax for probably 20 plus years and never had this happen before. 

And you can't find the 549 difference anywhere?

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

When did you print your return?  You might have accidentally changed something on it between printing and filing.  Print it out again.  If it's still the 9855 you will have to get the IRS transcript to compare it to.

Did you have any unemployment?  

Jakearoo

I am looking at the pdf in the program where it says print for records so it is not anything due to printing at an earlier time. And no, there was no unemployment.  Can't get the transcript yet since they are still processsing it. i have looked at my online account with IRS and nothing there yet for 2020.

I will contact Turbotax.

Thanks.

Are you using the Online web version or the Desktop CD/Download program?

I would check over your return, each line.  Especially income amounts and withholding.  Something may jump out at you.   I might even go so far as to do another return from scratch and see which refund it gives you.  You can start a new online account or new Desktop return to test. Don't mess up your existing return.  

Keep us posted.  Never seen a question like yours before.  

One thing I just thought of.....549 is divisible by 9.  So look for transposed numbers.  You never know.....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies