turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nicolekosloski1
Returning Member

Lost audit letter (needing more info) more than 30 days ago. How do I get a copy of the letter?

I’m trying to help a friend that lost his audit letter. We’re looking for a way to get a copy of the letter to respond? Also, I seen there will be a Penalty for not having the information in within 30 days does anybody know what the penalty is?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Lost audit letter (needing more info) more than 30 days ago. How do I get a copy of the letter?

Have the friend open an account on the IRS site to see any correspondence sent ...  https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If your friend cannot setup the IRS account then he will need to contact the IRS to get another copy of the letter.  Your friend did have the assigned Revenue Agent’s name and phone number in the audit letter.  Someone at the IRS should be able to give you that name and phone number.

This is the quickest way I have found to connect to a live person.  Get Human IRS.  I call at 8:00 AM in my time zone and usually wait less than 20 minutes when I follow those steps.

There is a penalty if no response within days, but I do not know the dollar amount.  Someone else may have that information and post it here.

When you respond, make sure to send the response by a mail service that will let you know when the letter has been received.

Audit Defense
We Can Help You with Your IRS Letter

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies