Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Line 30 of 1040 is showing blank after I filled in the amounts in TT

I filed my returns tonight on the TT website. Silly me didn't preview the forms. I'm looking at the 1040 form now and Line 30 (for the recovery rebate credit aka stimulus check totals) is blank. I explicitly filled in my check amounts on the TT form, so I don't understand why it's not showing up on the downloaded form.

Do I seriously need to wait for the IRS to accept the return -- and then file to amend it somehow?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You get the recovery rebate credit if you did not receive stimulus checks, or if you did not receive the full amount that you are entitled to. Since you did get the checks, you already got all the money you are entitled to, so you do not get the credit on your tax return.

Form 1040 line 30 is not the amount that you received. It's the amount you did not receive, but should have received. If you received the full amount that you were entitled to, then there is nothing on line 30.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You get the recovery rebate credit if you did not receive stimulus checks, or if you did not receive the full amount that you are entitled to. Since you did get the checks, you already got all the money you are entitled to, so you do not get the credit on your tax return.

Form 1040 line 30 is not the amount that you received. It's the amount you did not receive, but should have received. If you received the full amount that you were entitled to, then there is nothing on line 30.

Ahh! That makes sense now. Thanks!

During the process of updating information, I got notification that I am eligible for the Stimulus Payment 1 and 2 and if i did not receive the full amount, I can claim it at the time of filing income tax. Per instructions, I updated the partial amount that was received. Based on the further research, noted that the amount short received should have been included in Line 30 of Form 1040. However, I dont see such amount. Please advise if anything is missed and how this can be rectified. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Eligibility for stimulus payments for rounds one and two is based on the information in your 2020 tax return.  So if your adjusted gross income (AGI) was over $75,000 on your 2020 tax return, then you would be eligible for a reduced amount of Recovery Rebate Credit. If the amounts you entered as received are over that reduced eligible amount, then line 30 will be zero.  

If your AGI shows under $75,000 and the amounts you entered were less than 1200 and 600 for a single filer, then line 30 should have the missing amounts showing. If that is not the case you will need to amend your return to recover any missing amounts.

Here is a link with more information on incorrect stimulus amounts on the tax return.  

You should wait for your original return to be processed (refund deposited, for example).  Then sign in to your TurboTax account and select the "Amend" option.  Follow the prompts to complete the amendment.  The stimulus questions are found in the "Federal Review" tab.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies