turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jamielu42

Is it possible to correcting an honest mistake of your status from retired to actually not retired in your tax return if it's been past due for amending your taxes?

Will the IRS find out that I had paid the State its due by check, and that I should get a full refund amount from my Federal Tax Refund instead?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is it possible to correcting an honest mistake of your status from retired to actually not retired in your tax return if it's been past due for amending your taxes?

There is no "retired" status and nothing about retired goes on a tax return at all.    (If you mean you entered your occupations as retired, then that is only for statistical purposes and you can  put anything there - it is meaningless.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The IRS is paying no attention whatsoever to your state return and does not know if you owed the state or if you paid the state.   Your state tax due can NEVER be paid from a federal refund.

And as stated, "retired" is not a filing status.    Your choices for a filing status were Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household or Qualifying Widow(er).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Good thing you paid the state tax due!  Many people misunderstood that part.  The state tax can not be deducted from the federal refund.  Never.  You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted.  You will still get the full federal refund minus any fees you had deducted plus the extra 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California).

Turbo Tax just shows you a screen at the end showing the Net amount of federal and state combined.  But it is just for your own info.  You do still have to pay the state yourself separately.   See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies