turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it normal that I entered my information and our return was 10K and when I entered my husbands info it dropped to 2K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is it normal that I entered my information and our return was 10K and when I entered my husbands info it dropped to 2K?

What you described often occurs. When you enter your first W-2, the standard or itemized deductions are subtracted from the income before the amount of tax due is calculated so only a portion or maybe none of the income is being taxed and it appears like you are getting most or all of tax withheld as a refund. When you enter the next W-2, most or all of it is being taxed since there are no more deductions left to subtract. There is not enough tax withheld on that income to pay taxes on all of it so the refund goes down. The refund shown after entering the first one has no meaning and should be ignored. If all of your income and withholding from both jobs was reported on one W-2 the result would be the same but you would not see an interim refund amount that has no meaning.

Yes.  Because we have a progressive tax system.  The more total income you make you pay a higher percent for tax.

You only get one refund or tax due for all your income combined.  The Refund Monitors won't be right until you have entered all your income.  So don't look at it until you are done.

That's common.  It just looks that way because you put them in as separate W2s and saw the tax due change in between them. If it all was on one W2 you would get the same answer. And each job was withholding like it was your only job.

Because you only get one standard deduction no matter how many W2s you put in. Turbo Tax starts out by giving you the Standard Deduction.  You entered more income when you entered the second W2 but you didn't enter more deductions.  And each job only withheld taxes like it was your only job for the year.  You might want to adjust your withholding.  Also as you add more income you might not be getting as many credits as before like the EIC credit.  And it was probably giving you the EIC credit until you went over.

See,   https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/why-did-my-refund-drop-when-i-entered-a-second-w-2/00...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies