turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS says that I have a balance due instead:(

It appears that on several returns that I prepared, Turbotax automatically said "YES" to Question #2 on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. (DOES YOUR 2021 RETURN INCLUDE A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER THAT WAS ISSUED ON OR BEFORE THE DUE DATE OF YOUR 2021 RETURN...? 

I do recall entering in the amounts received, but not being given the opportunity to answer the questions on the worksheet. I feel that this is a glitch in the system and Turbotax needs to take accountability.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

That question is not in the interview process at all ... if it is can you post a screen shot of it ?

Accountability for what exactly?   That answer says,  in effect, that you had a valid SSN to use on your tax return.  Why do you think that is a problem?    What really happened?   Did you answer the question about the amount of the 3rd EIP that you received incorrectly and put an amount on line 30 of your tax return by mistake?   If you already received the 3rd stimulus in 2021 you cannot get it again as a recovery rebate credit, so line 30 should have been blank.   What is on your own line 30?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

LOTS of people have made mistakes this year with the recovery rebate credit by "forgetting" that they received the $1400 per person stimulus checks last year.  They answered no to the questions for the  recovery recovery rebate credit and put the $1400 per person on line 30 of their returns.  But you cannot get it twice, so the IRS removes it when it is there by mistake.

Try checking your online account with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $1400 on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $1400 last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have a funny feeling that the OP has a SS# that was issued after the filing so the IRS denied the credit on that point of interest  which is not handled in the TT interview at all.  

@Critter-3 - note business edition???

@martinfamily99 - the issue of a social security number issued after the due date of the return...

1) could not occur prior to the original due date of April 17, 2022. How could you enter a social security issued after the due date if you were filing by the due date? 

2) if the extenion was submitted prior to the April 17, 2022 due date, how could you enter a social security number issued after October 15, 2022 when we aren't even there yet? 

3) Now I could see your point after Oct 15, 2022, if someone enters a social security number issued after the due date of the return.  

@NCperson    Yes ... some folks pose questions from any program they have open at the time so I don't pay attention to that designation often especially when they post a specific question. 

Some of you just aren't getting what I'm saying here. I said that I indicated that I had recorded the payments received, as stated on the letter. I am saying that I did not answer a question on the worksheet saying YES, that I had a new social security number in my household in 2021. 

<<I did not answer a question on the worksheet saying YES, that I had a new social security number in my household in 2021. >>

I understand that.  So what? 

what bearing does the fact the you added a social security number that was issued prior to April 17, 2022 (or prior to Oct 15, 2022 if you filed an extenion on time) have on the situation?   Since the social security number has to have an issue date prior to the filing date to secure the benefit, and the mere fact that the social security number exists means it had to exist prior to filing?  So what is the issue? 

Now, I could see your point if someone was trying to file after April 17, 2022 (or after Oct 15, 2022 if filed for an extension) and the social security number was issued after these dates, that is a problem.  

did you have a benefit that was denied because a social securuty number was issued AFTER the date the tax return was due? what are the circumstances? 

@martinfamily99 We are not "getting" what you are upset about because we cannot figure out how you think you were affected by the answer on that worksheet.   Please explain.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies