Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS says 1040 stimulus miscalculation. How to fix?

We've been typing at the same time.  Read my post above again.  

Thanks for your help. Still gotta figure out where that other 2400 went. Im guess they sent a check. Sure cant find it in my deposits anywhere........

My father got a debit card in the mail for his.  I had to go online and activate it.  It might be easy to miss a debit card and think it was junk mail.

@Greg Nauman wrote:

Also the third stimulus or the 21 check shows the same amount on both my wife's IRS account and My IRS account 

If what you are saying about the splitting of the amount is true then why does both of our IRS accounts show $5600 on March 17th 2021

Its not broken down into 2750 on hers and 2750 on mine. It shows 5600 on mine and 5600 on hers and we only received one check for 5600

If you guys who are responding work for Turbo tax you need to your information corrected because clearly its not correct. I have screen shots but the images are too large to upload here

There are not mine and hers on a joint tax return.  The amount received from the stimulus payments is the total received.

For EIP1 you received $1.200 for each of you on a joint tax return plus $500 for each eligible dependent under the age of 17.

For EIP2 you received $600 for each of you on a joint tax return plus $600 for each eligible dependent under the age of 17.

If you received these amounts then there would not be anything entered on the Form 1040 Line 30 if you answered the questions presented to you correctly.

The third stimulus is not relevant on the 2020 tax return.  That stimulus payment is from the IRS and based on either the 2020 or 2019 federal tax return that was filed and received by the IRS.

Go to this IRS website for information on the third stimulus payment - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

@DoninGA   I think we got the first 2 straightened out on the 2020 return.   Then why are their accounts both showing 5600?   Is that only for the third one or including the first 2?  That is way too much for any of them even for Joint total + 1 dependent.

Did you claim 2 dependents on your return?  Could you have entered your daughter twice?   Because 5600 is 1400x4.   You should only have 1400 x 3 people.   

Me my wife and our daughter. On the 2020 taxes. 

@VolvoGirl wrote:

@DoninGA   I think we got the first 2 straightened out on the 2020 return.   Then why are their accounts both showing 5600?   Is that only for the third one or including the first 2?  That is way too much for any of them even for Joint total + 1 dependent.

What accounts?  IF they filed separately then the tax accounts will show what was received individually.  If they filed jointly then only one tax account will show what was sent.

@Greg Nauman wrote:

Filing jointly with one dependent under the age of 17 would only be $2,900 for EIP1.  And for EIP2 it would be $1.800.

For a total of $4,700.

The supposedly filed Joint.  Each of their IRS accounts showed $1,800 for the first 2.   I think Critter said that was right above.  

Now he says each account shows 5600?  Which is 1400x4 but there is only 3 of them listed on 2020.  

This is for the 2021 March 17 payment. 

On my 2020 tax return it is marked 1 daughter as a dependent and my older daughter who is 23 is marked as no longer a dependent. 
So should be Me, My wife, and our disabled daughter. 
We received a 5600 payment and that is what the IRS website shows. 

so no idea why we received that much 

@DoninGA wrote:

@Greg Nauman wrote:

Filing jointly with one dependent under the age of 17 would only be $2,900 for EIP1.  And for EIP2 it would be $1.800.

For a total of $4,700.

Don, forget about 2020.  Dependent is over 17.    We figured that out.  Now we are working on the 3rd Stimulus payment.  1,400 for each, no age limit.

Then they need to contact the IRS to get this mess straightened out.

I think as Volvo said. We figured out 2020. 

Now to figure out why when my 2020 taxes show only 1 dependent did they send me $5600 for the 2021 stimulus instead of $4200

@Greg Nauman wrote:

This is for the 2021 March 17 payment. 

On my 2020 tax return it is marked 1 daughter as a dependent and my older daughter who is 23 is marked as no longer a dependent. 
So should be Me, My wife, and our disabled daughter. 
We received a 5600 payment and that is what the IRS website shows. 

so no idea why we received that much 

WHOA!   Now you say you have 2 daughters?  How old?  How is the 23 marked for no longer a dependent?  If she is listed on the return you get the 500 other dependent credit and will get the 3rd 1,400 for her too.   So you did have 4 people listed on your 2020 return (1400x4=5600).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies