Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS says 1040 stimulus miscalculation. How to fix?

I did both me and my spouse, I stated that above

If you only put your $1,800 (1200+600) in Turbo Tax then it would give you the $1,800 (1200+600) for your spouse.   You need to enter the $3,600 total for both of you.   Check your bank accounts again.   The IRS thinks they sent you $3,600 (1,800 each).   If you only entered the 1200 deposit you think you got, that's why line 30 had 2400 on it for the missing amount.   You don't get the first 2 amounts for child if they were over 17 on Dec 31, 2020.   

If you can't find deposits, checks or debit cards for the missing $2,400 they will need to put a trace on it.

Your dependent should not have received any Stimulus payments in their own name.   The $1,400 3rd one should have come to you in your ssn. Did they file their own return and say they were NOT a dependent?

How to put a trace on a missing 1st or 2nd Stimulus payment.  IRS for Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

See question F3 here, you can expand it to see how to put a trace on it.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-f-finding-the-first-and-second-econom...

She is an Adult but we have guardianship of her. She is considered a dependent.

I have no idea why her account received money from the IRS

I can not believe this, What a mess.

The government cant even give handouts correctly and document it........

The IRS website shows 1200, and 600 on both my wife and my seperate IRS accounts.

I have went to the website at the IRS and the information is listed the same for me and my wife but no other information. We only received the $1200 and then the check in March 2021 which should have been the 3rd stimulus I think??

I guess I will schedule to meet with them

Did you follow my post right above?  I think I figured it out and explained it pretty well (if I say so myself), lol.

If the disabled adult receives Social Security benefits then that’s why she got the third stimulus check. If you claimed her on your return you would’ve gotten the third stimulus check.

My daughter received stimulus checks but it had nothing to do with the 3rd one we received.

Huh?  She got some herself?  

My daughter is qudrapalegic, no she did not file. she is a dependent on my taxes. you check the box for her being disabled. We have guardianship of her.

The IRS is reporting payment but both my wife account and mine say the exact same thing as far as 1st 2nd and 3rd stimulus checks and both accounts say we owe the 2400.

My disabled daughter does receive a small monthly SS check and also received 1400 in her account.

I have no idea , again this is a mess. You all are asking question that I have clearly answered. I WENT TO THE IRS WEBSITE AND IM TELLING YOU WHAT THEY ARE REPORTING.

Also when I answer the two turbo tax questions on what we received. 1200 and 600 respectively for the first two stimulus checks my tax owed increases and the box 30 reports that 1800.

I think something is wrong with the software personally

Yes we are understanding.   Forget about the new 3rd one.   The IRS accounts are showing you and you wife each got 1,800 for a total of 3,600 joint.

But you must have only reported the 1200 deposit you got.  So Turbo Tax thinks you were missing 2,400.   Ok so far?

You need to have the IRS put a trace on the missing 2,400 they say they sent you.

Now you are saying you entered 1200 and 600 for the first two Stimulus checks.   That is only for one of you.  What about the other person's 1200 and 600?   Why didn't you enter theirs?   That's why it's giving you $1,800 on line 30.  

You need to enter 2400 (1200+1200) for the first one and 1200 (600+600) for the second one.

Also the third stimulus or the 21 check shows the same amount on both my wife's IRS account and My IRS account 

If what you are saying about the splitting of the amount is true then why does both of our IRS accounts show $5600 on March 17th 2021

Its not broken down into 2750 on hers and 2750 on mine. It shows 5600 on mine and 5600 on hers and we only received one check for 5600

If you guys who are responding work for Turbo tax you need to your information corrected because clearly its not correct. I have screen shots but the images are too large to upload here

OK so if I enter 2400 on the first question and 1200 on the second question box 30 will show 3600 and then the tax I owe will go up even more.

Or basically its asked the question is this what you received 2400 and 1200 and if I answer yes then I owe more.

The more they gave you so to speak the more tax you owe. WTH.

So basically they gave me 3600 and Now I have to pay back about 3600. whats the point of the stimulus money.

I do show a deposit of 1200, Maybe the first 2400 came as a check. I just need to find that cleared check. I think the first one did come as a check.

Now the question is on the 3rd stimulus for 2021, why they show the same amount on both accounts and that is the amount we received its not split in half??????

What a joke!

No, if you enter 2,400 and 1,200 for the 2 questions (or yes you received it) you should not have 3,600 on line 30.  Line 30 should be blank.   

Yes you can see the tax go up.   Your 2020 return starts out by assuming you didn't get any Stimulus payments so it gives you credit for the full amount and your refund was too high.  Then near the end you enter how much you actually got so it only gives you the difference if any.  So you don't get it again.

You are not paying tax on them and it is not deducting it from your refund or increasing the tax due.  Turbo Tax started out by assuming you didn't get it and  giving you credit for the whole amount so your refund was too high to begin with.  Then when you entered what you already got the starting refund was reduced or the tax due increased to your real actual refund.  Otherwise you would be getting the Stimulus amount again on your tax return.

Look at your return.  The Stimulus payments do not show up anywhere as taxable income so you are not being taxed on it.  And it's not being subtracted anywhere.

Ok if I check the box that says 'Is this what you received' it puts nothing in box 30 but my tax i owe still goes up that exact amount

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies