turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Refund Status says "We cannot provide any information about your refund"

Turbo Tax says my refund was transmitted May 12,2021 accepted May 12, 2021.  ( I e-filed May 11,2021.) My State refund processed 7 days after e-filing. Where’s my IRS refund says “ We cannot provide any information about your refund.” I have used all resources (IRS2Go App, Website and WMR phone). IRS phone disconnects at all times of the day "due to high call volume."  Appears every resource available ignores discussing reasons why the "...cannot provide any information..." response is generated.  It seems the possibility of incorrect data entry is the ONLY reason "... information cannot be provided ...".  Turbo Tax says my e-file return was accepted by the IRS.  How can I verify the IRS actually accepted my e-filed return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies

First if TT says the return was accepted for processing then they have it for processing.   From time to time, as the return travels thru the processing pipeline, there will be no way to track it and this is normal.  And since returns are taking much longer to process this year all you can do is check the IRS site once or twice a week for a progress report.  

Thanks for response.  Are you suggesting that I should have a progress report on IRS Refund Status site?  I presume there is some sort of "progress report" given to some users, however, I do not consider "... cannot provide any information ..."  as being a "progress report".   So, do you think I will begin receiving a "progress report" once IRS begins to process the return?

Sadly the IRS tool is very limited ... it only has 3 steps. Received  (same as accepted for processing in TT ) then Approved for refund dispersal and last refund sent.   A lot happens between the received and approved steps and it would be really nice if they put in a meter of some kind but this is all there is at this time.

The  WMR tool has been squirrelly a lot this year.  But you do also have to make sure you are using the tool correctly.   Even then a lot of people have trouble with it and experience what you report.

Double-check that your efiled returns were indeed accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, log in and go to the Tax Home and check the efile status.

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

• Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

Another option is to sign into your account at the IRS and look at the transcripts ...

To obtain them online or by mail

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Request Online
What You Need
To register and use this service, you need:

your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return,
access to your email account,
your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
a mobile phone with your name on the account.
What You Get
All transcript types are available online
View, print or download your transcript
Username and password to return later

Request by Mail
What You Need
To use this service, you need your:

SSN or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN),
date of birth, and
mailing address from your latest tax return
What You Get
Return or Account transcript types delivered by mail
Transcripts arrive in 5 to 10 calendar days at the address we have on file for you

I filed 11 months ago with TT...until today my IRS2Go has said "accepted", today they "cannot provide any information about my refund."  What now?

I can no longer access refund status or irs3go for status either.   I was told that the issue may be because we are in 2021 and the system can no longer show 2020 returns.  This seems to be not correct because it says they go back to latest return up to I believe 20 months.  Very frustrating

williams360
Returning Member

for me months my refund said "Your refund is still being processed." 

On January 1st of this year when I checked it said system down try again later.

Today January 3rd 2022 my refund status said " We cannot provide any information about your refund" 

anyone else having the same experience? What now? 

Exactly my issue.  I tried both the irs website and irs2go app.   Irs2go app says 2021 returns, but info I pulled from off IRS site says latest return, I believe back two years; however, I just pulled this contradictory information off their website:

How long will my refund information be available?

• For U.S. Individual Income Tax Returns filed before July 1: Around the second or third week in December.

You can check on amended returns for the past 2 tax years but not the original filing ... those have been closed down for the switch to 2021 tax year.  

Check you account instead ...  https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account  

All it shows is what form I filed, my AGI and my return amount.  No status or what is happening with my return.

bear0912

I am having exact same issue. Is there anyway we can check the status? This is really frustrating. I thought I was doing something, but it appears many people are experiencing the same issue. I filed in on Feb 10th, 2021 and still haven't got mine yet. 

To check the status of your refund, watch your checking account or mailbox.

someday, maybe around Easter time, your balance will jump.

I am going thru the same exact situation...if anyone has any info about what could be hapenning, please enlighten me 

It is now time for IRS to get ready for 2021 filings. In order to get status of your 2020 return you can check your transcript on IRS.gov or try to call the IRS at [phone number removed]. Do not push the button for refund  as it will only take you to the automated program which will say the same thing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies