Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Form 1040X for TY 2021

I have already filed my 2021 Fed and State returns but have now discovered that I misstated the tax withheld on one of my 1099-Rs.  I tried to file an amended return in TT but it says the IRS has not finalized the 1040X form yet.  Does anyone know when that form will be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm in a similar situation. In my case a late mailed form that had been entirely forgotten about arrived the day after filing. This is so frustrating! Using the link that MichelleLOposted posted in their earlier answer, as of right now it appears Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return is scheduled to be available 03/17/2022 for both print and e-file on all listed TurboTax products.

At the very least, it would be nice if the TurboTax application either stated this date or provided the relevant link on the screen instead of just saying "check back soon" as it does now.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The option to amend your 2021 tax return will not be available until later in the tax season. You can check the availability of Form 1040X here

For more information on how to amend your return when the option is available, please see How to amend (change or correct) a return you've already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm in a similar situation. In my case a late mailed form that had been entirely forgotten about arrived the day after filing. This is so frustrating! Using the link that MichelleLOposted posted in their earlier answer, as of right now it appears Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return is scheduled to be available 03/17/2022 for both print and e-file on all listed TurboTax products.

At the very least, it would be nice if the TurboTax application either stated this date or provided the relevant link on the screen instead of just saying "check back soon" as it does now.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@forumer

Thank you for sharing this experience.  TurboTax always provides 1040-X about midway through the tax season.  When it is ready a blue link for 2021 will appear in the Help File.

@HeatherPLO

Thank you. I understand that historically TurboTax has provided the 1040-X about midway through the tax season. It would still be good for the application to provide the aforementioned link to the forms availability schedule that TurboTax maintains on their website for a given season, if not directly stating the specific date on the application's amendment interview screen. Either option would be better than the current wording of "check back soon".

Also, in case you are not aware, per the IRS "Form 1040-X and its instructions have been converted from an annual revision to continuous use beginning in tax year 2021. Both the form and instructions will be updated as required. For the most recent version, go to IRS.gov/Form1040X. Section discussions and charts that were updated annually have been removed, or replaced with references to relevant forms, schedules, instructions, and publications. See the forms, schedules, instructions, and publications for the year of the tax return you are amending for guidance on specific topics." So I would hope that going forward TurboTax might have the 1040-X on the same sort of continuous use model.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@forumer

Thank you for providing this feedback.  I will pass this along to our team for review.  

I absolutely agree, I have used TT for years (free, business/home and premier) I think I will try another next season.

Tgrapes

Today is April 26 and I still can find no information or a 1040x in TurboTax to amend my filing. I also updated TT but still no form. Does anyone have an upfate on this issue?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies