Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chuyin78

In the IRS letter I received they show an amount being reported that is different than what my financial institution has. How can I see what TurboTax pulled in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

In the IRS letter I received they show an amount being reported that is different than what my financial institution has. How can I see what TurboTax pulled in?

Amount for what?  Interest, Dividends, Sales?   What kind of 1099 did you get?

chuyin78

It is the 1099-B. The column that shows the proceeds is a certain amount. For example the cost basis is "$3,733.97" and in the letter from the IRS it says that TurboTax imported the amount as "$3,399". And this is one of 19 examples where each amount that I see is shorted. So my question is where in the TurboTax worksheets can I find how it imported this from them so I can see why it changed all the values? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

form 1099-B worksheet.   the alpha-numeric of the import should be green.        

you should also download the 1099-B from the financial institution to see what it has in order to compare to TT and IRS.   

Bees
Level 7

Could it be split between short term and long term shares?

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
chuyin78

I have the Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS website, the section for 1099-B has the $3,733.00 listed as Proceeds, and $3,399.00 is the Cost or Basis. I used the import feature in Turbotax to populate my return. So my question is still how were the amounts mistranslated by the software that it gave the IRS the wrong amount, from the wrong column, as it were.

You must always check any imports against your actual 1099-B.   It is up to the financial institution to properly translate their 1099-B data into tax data transfer protocol for import.  TurboTax only populates the forms and fields on those forms according to the coded data provided in the import file by the financial institution.   TurboTax makes no guarantees of the accuracy of imports because the accuracy depends if the financial institution translated it and coded it properly.  Those data files can have errors.  TurboTax has no way to know if the imported data is accurate or not.

Also, if the financial institution had an error on the 1099-B and later corrects it, often the import file is never updated.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies