turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spmcgrath

How does having Medicaid insurance impact my tax return? Do I have to report anything on my 1040? I've got a simple return, standard deduction only. Thanks for any info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

How does having Medicaid insurance impact my tax return? Do I have to report anything on my 1040? I've got a simple return, standard deduction only. Thanks for any info

In the health insurance section under the Federal Taxes you need to answer the questions so that you are not penalized. If covered all year simply answer yes and you are done. Let me know if you need more help.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
SherekaB

In the health insurance section under the Federal Taxes you need to answer the questions so that you are not penalized. If covered all year simply answer yes and you are done. Let me know if you need more help.

They asked if it would impact their return over regular health insurance, ie, what is the difference between having regular health insurance and having health insurance paid by the government? Do you have to reimburse the government with your taxes for using Medicaid?

No you do not reimburse the government with your tax return for having Medicaid.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What if you had Medicaid through Sept 1st then it was cancelled?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

On your federal return, this has no impact in 2019.  You would only need to make a report on your federal return if you had Marketplace insurance and a Form 1095-A.

In some states, there is still a requirement to report health insurance coverage. If your state is one of these, you will be asked these questions in the state interview section of TurboTax. 

@allisonm73

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you have to show proof

Do you have to have proof of medicaid

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

No, there is no longer a health insurance mandate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
achu

thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies