turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ric2721

In 2016 the IRS sent me a $309 bill for unpaid 2015 taxes. I paid the bill in 2016. I'm just now doing my 2015 and 2016 taxes using TurboTax. Where do I enter the $309?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

In 2016 the IRS sent me a $309 bill for unpaid 2015 taxes. I paid the bill in 2016. I'm just now doing my 2015 and 2016 taxes using TurboTax. Where do I enter the $309?

You do not enter it in any return unless your state has a deduction for Federal taxes

The money you paid to the IRS for a previous year’s federal tax return is not deductible, so you do not enter it anywhere on your next federal return.  If you paid taxes due  to your state or local government, you can enter that by going to Federal> Deductions and Credits> Estimates and Other Taxes Paid> Other Income Taxes.  You can enter the taxes you paid, but do not include any penalties or interest.

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies