turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I set up direct deposit for my tax return, why is the IRS sending me a check.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

55 Replies

If the IRS is not able to deposit your refund into your bank account for any reason, the IRS will mail you a check instead.

Sometimes the routing or bank account number is wrong, invalid, missing one digit, or if the name is not exact as the bank account, this can cause rejection of the deposit.

The IRS states a mailed check should take no longer than 3 weeks to arrive.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs2goapp

I checked my banking information from my tax return and it was correct, Same banking information for the last 3 years.

We also have this issue this year never ever had a problem before now. 

Same happened to me

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Risanna1027 To add to the above information given, here is another example the IRS may have sent a paper check,this is directly from the IRS website:

Why am I receiving a paper check?

The IRS limits the number of direct deposit refunds to the same bank account or on the same pre-paid debit card. Because your request exceeded our direct deposit limits, we’re sending you a paper check instead.

Understanding Your CP53D Notice

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've also encountered this issue just this year.  No reason why.  However it did cost an additional $30 in processing.  I only have a single deposit going to a single bank account so no weird issues there.

shouk1979

i had the same problem this year. I have used turbo tax for years and set up direct deposit. I have had the same banking information for years and years and never had a problem. I was having one deposit made to one account....whats the issue this year?? 

CH94

2020. I filed electronically February 1st. It's March 4. I have still yet to receive my federal tax return and I'm seriously running out of patience. I called Huntington, the IRS, they told me they couldn't directly deposit the federal. The state return has already been deposited with no problem, so none of this is making any sense. All of my account information is correct. They're now sending me a check through mail. I should've already recieved it by now.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

After 2-3 weeks have passed you may also call the IRS customer service line at 1 800 829 1040 to inquire regarding the status of your return.http://www.irs.gov/Refunds

Hello I also have a problem a single digit was left off my account. How long do it take to get a paper check and do the irs automatically issue out a paper check if they can’t send it direct deposit?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account for direct deposit. If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will just mail you a refund check. Please allow up to 4-6 weeks for delivery of your tax refund check, once it has been approved by the IRS.

Why am I receiving a paper check?

The IRS limits the number of direct deposit refunds to the same bank account or on the same pre-paid debit card. Because your request exceeded our direct deposit limits, we’re sending you a paper check instead.

Rf10
Level 1

A check only delayed my refund by 2 days. They send them out quickly by mail even if DD is set up. If the DD is rejected, paper check goes to address first class mail. Hope this helps!

Rf10
Level 1

The same bank account after 3 years in a row will reject DD for fraud prevention. Therefore paper check is mailed

Koleszar

Same here. I also had mine approved on the 1st of February and should have received it on Feb 22nd. But not it says they are sending it in the mail and to call them if I don't receive it by April 10th! WTH...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies