Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rf10
Level 1

I set up direct deposit for my tax return, why is the IRS sending me a check.

If you have had a direct deposit more than 3x to the same bank account the IRS automatically converts it to a mailed check! 

I used the same woman I have used for years. Bc my identity was stolen in 2009, I now need an IP PIN to file. I moved since last year and they sent it to my old address and was unable to obtain it online, so my tax preparer informed me I would have to file by mail and receive a check. Well, she accidentally put her companies banking info on my paperwork as she would if I were going to receive direct deposit. IRS2GO stated it was deposited on April 8. Which I’m assuming the bank rejected bc as of April 24 it’s saying there’s a delay in processing my return and that I should call and use reference code 1121. Only I can’t flippin call due to this pandemic. :( I feel so helpless. I’ve lost my job due to the virus and my return is substantial. At this point I have absolutely no idea when I’ll finally receive my money. 

Only you can’t call bc the IRS isn’t currently accepting phone calls due to the pandemic. 

William 2

The irs says in the get my payment tool that the information I entered does not match their records. It's the exact same info H&R block used for my 2019 tax return. I have direct deposit on my Emerald card and I still haven't recieved a check

William 2

I know the dead line for direct deposit has passed but how do I find out exactly what the reason was for me not recieving a stimulus check to my direct deposit account 

@William 2 is this for your tax return or your stimulus? If it’s for your tax return, have you tried changing your filing status where it asks just in case the wrong filing status was entered? I know that even if one letter in your name or ANYthing is incorrect, they will say it doesn’t match. It’s very sensitive. Oddly enough, my stimulus showed it was direct deposited into my tax preparers account JUST like my tax return stated, yet I received my stimulus by check just days later. But I have yet to receive my tax refund. I filed in early feb. they said they deposited it on April 8. The bank rejected it on April 24 and yet. Here I am. No refund by mail. It’s awful. As I’m sure you can relate, I just want my money. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you filed a tax return in 2018 or 2019, the payment of the stimulus funds can be tracked at the following website:

Check status of economic payment

Please see the following for facts related to the payments as processed by the IRS.  See the section titled Payment Status Not Available for reasons why you may be receiving the message.  

FAQ for Economic payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DJT63

I had to pay in last year. The amount due was withdrawn from my checking account. Previous years I have always had a refund deposit into the same account. I have been with Turbo Tax for 7 years and have always had the same account. My checking account info is on record with both Turbo & IRS. Why a paper check??

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@DJT63 Please see this helpful TurboTax FAQ for information on the second stimulus payment and it's distribution: How will the second stimulus impact me?

NITTY27

I have a new bank

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@NITTY27 Can you clarify what you are wanting to do so that we can better assist you.

After 6 years of filing with TT and getting my refund via direct deposit, I got a check (for my state return). Like every year, I triple-check my account numbers and always received direct deposits. Except for this year. After how 2020 went, I just learn not to ask Why and just deposit it by taking a snapshot with my banking app. I am expecting my Federal in a form of a check. SMH

I filed with h&r block the end of January.  It was accepted by the irs on the 13th of February.  I still don't have any info on mine, have called the irs and got nowhere.  Our state was mailed (even though it's set up for d.d)

Kino916

My banking information is correct as well. No reason for a paper check. I hope this isn't an issue with turbo tax.  We pay so these things don't happen. 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Kino916 If you requested direct deposit but are receiving a paper check, please see the following explanation from the IRS:

There are three possible reasons. They are as follows:

• We can only deposit refunds electronically into accounts in your own name, your spouse's name or in a joint account.
  • A financial institution may reject a direct deposit.
  • We can’t deposit more than three electronic refunds into a single financial account.

For more information, please see: https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies