turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved unemployment benefits during the 2019 tax year. I have a 1099G but wasn't instructed to load the information in. What do I do or do I have to do anything?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I recieved unemployment benefits during the 2019 tax year. I have a 1099G but wasn't instructed to load the information in. What do I do or do I have to do anything?

Unemployment compensation is taxable income so you must enter it on your 2019 tax return.  Go to Federal>Wages and Income>Unemployment to enter the 1099G you received for your unemployment.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You need to enter it and report it.  Have you filed yet?

If you haven't filed.......

You can  type  "unemployment compensation"  into the search box at the top of your return and hit find.  It should give you a Jump To link to take you right to it.

Or Enter a 1099G for unemployment under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Unemployment - Click the Start or Update Button

IF YOU HAVE FILED............

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

Yes you must enter it. Type unemployment compensation in the search box and click on jump to unemployment compensation.

Or go to the Wages and Income section and look for Unemployment right below where the W-2s are entered. 

If you are using the Free Edition, you must upgrade to Deluxe to be able to enter unemployment compensation. 

There is another free version from the Free File Program that you might be able to use.

You qualify if you had $36,000 or less AGI or $69,000 or less military family AGI or qualify for EITC. Click on See if you qualify then Yes (if you do) then Start Now button, then choose Create an Account.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies