turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If a check was written for December 2013 but wasnt cashed until January 2014 can I count that on my 2013 taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If a check was written for December 2013 but wasnt cashed until January 2014 can I count that on my 2013 taxes

yes. If you received the check in 2013, then it's reported as 2013 income. The fact you didn't cash it until 2014 is irrelevant. Likewise if you wrote the check in 2013, and the person you wrote it to didn't cash it until 2014. You still "paid" it, in 2013.

Thank you Carl! Great Help!!!

I received a check on December 31,2019. I am supposed to be paid 883.33 per month as I am a 1099 misc employee. For some reason my employer decided it would be easier to just pay me once. This changes my whole tax status. I now owe 3,800 in taxes. Is there any way to push this money into 2020 taxes?

Carl
Level 15

I received a check on December 31,2019. Is there any way to push this money into 2020 taxes?

Not legally, no. With that check physically in your hand on or before Dec 31 of the tax year, that means you had physical access to, and control of that money in 2019.

I now owe 3,800 in taxes.

So what's the big deal? If you owe $3,800 in taxes just for that check, then it tells me you received a check in excess of $10,000. So before you do "ANYTHING" take $3,800 out of that check and pay the IRS immediately if not sooner. As late as your post is, you can expect to pay an underpayment penalty too unless what you owe the IRS is less than 10% of your total tax liability.

Now if you actually deposited that check on or after Jan 2, you could probably "get away" with pretending you recevied the check on or after Jan 2 and treat it as 2020 income. In my opinion, the chances of the IRS finding out otherwise or even "suspecting" anything, are zero percent.

Now if that extra $10,000 does "NOT" put you in a higher tax bracket, I'd go ahead and claim it for what it really is, 2019 income. If I did that, there "could" be a chance that my "actual" 2020 income would put me in a lower tax bracket for the 2020 tax year. I'd also be able to have a clear conscience. 🙂

Thanks for that info. The reason I am getting wacked is I have a 1095-A which I have to pay back a portion according to my families total income. Without the $7500 I would owe about $1500. Total on my 1099-MISC is 1500 for the year.

Also, I didn't actually take possession of the check till 01/06/2020.

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

As long as the income was not reported on a 1099-Misc you received for 2019 and you did not receive the check until 2020, you do not need to claim the income on your 2019 tax return.

You are a cash basis taxpayer so you report income when you receive it and the same for expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies