Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

618wop

I need to file a 1040x I accidentally checked the box on my taxes saying someone can claim me but they did not. Will this prevent me getting the $1200 stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I need to file a 1040x I accidentally checked the box on my taxes saying someone can claim me but they did not. Will this prevent me getting the $1200 stimulus check?

Yes, if you checked the box that you can be claimed as a dependent then you will not get the stimulus payment. 

You will have to file a form 1040X to correct your mistake. The IRS will only accept amended returns via mail. Under normal circumstances, it can take up to 16 weeks to process an amended return. Most likely it will take longer with everything going on.

Please see How do I amend a 2019 return in TurboTax? for instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
618wop

So I amended it and fixed it unchecked the box and refilled out signatures and sent the 1040x and 1040 to the return address in the mail yesterday. When they receive it will they notify me and send me my stimulus check or how do I go about knowing when it’s fixed and get the stimulus check? Thanks so much, cause it was an accident nobody claimed me I just mistakenly checked the box. A little mess up will keep me from getting my check?

aimlou25
Returning Member

ok, so to change the info on my son's return that he can be claimed, even though he will not be claimed by anyone, I go back to his original tax form, unclick the box then also fill out a 1040x and mail both of them in after printing?

May I ask you how you filed the amended return? Where did you obtain it and how did you note a wrongly-checked box as the error/reason to amend? We've been trying to help our daughter discover for over a week why she (NOT our dependent any longer at 24) didn't receive her stimulus check and we NOW see on her 2019 return that TurboTax has the box checked for "someone else can claim me as a dependent" even though we did not claim her for 2019 (we did in 2018 but she already got her 2019 return, as a non-dependent).

Is there a way through the TurboTax process to file an amended return? Just wondering the fastest way to advise my daughter how to correct this (while she works at her essential job each and every day so part wages). Thanks!

Re: I need to file a 1040x I accidentally checked the box on my taxes saying someone can claim me but they did not. Will this prevent me getting the $1200 stimulus check? i dont know how to do a 1040 to get mine and my husband i check his box and irs said i had to do a 1040 to get our stimulus check

@memawbamagirl If you checked the wrong box on your 2019 return, it is really too late for you to amend and get a stimulus check in 2020.  It is taking about six months for the IRS to process amended returns.  Instead of amending for that now and waiting until sometime in at least the summer of 2021 to receive your stimulus check. you can make sure you do NOT make the same mistake on your 2020 tax return and get the stimulus money when you file your 2020 return.  The stimulus money was an advance on a credit you can get on your next tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@memawbamagirl 

It is too late to amend a 2019 return for that issue to get the stimulus check this year.  Instead you will make sure the same error is not made on the 2020 return ( always make sure you review the entire return BEFORE you file it ... you are given the chance in the FILE tab so use it) then you can apply for the credit on the 2020 return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies