turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mailed my state taxes during mid April, but never received my return and checked the IRS website and my account said I had yet to file. Can I file late with a fee?

I mailed them from a military base, and my return address is where I work since we have no mail room. I assumed they were working on it but then left for a detachment and forgot about it until now. I don't know if they received my taxes and never checked until now. I'm also a resident of NC but am stationed in CA, I knew there was issue this year for filing with new tax laws so that may have been the issue.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I mailed my state taxes during mid April, but never received my return and checked the IRS website and my account said I had yet to file. Can I file late with a fee?

Are you asking about federal or state?  IRS is federal.   The IRS is behind on updating their website. Plan on 6 months or more for mailed returns. The IRS is taking a lot longer this year. All you can do is wait and be patient.

Here's a couple IRS articles. The IRS is still processing 2020 returns. As of June 21, 2022 the IRS is almost done processing 2020 returns, filed in 2021. See,
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-work-on-inventory-of-tax-returns-original-tax-returns-fil...

And see, https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

@jthiedesmith - if you paper filed, assume that it will be 6-9 months from the time you filed until the IRS processes your return.  They are woefully backlogged.... best you can do is just be patient. 

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to January 2022 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Manage cookies