turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KY2
Level 2

I mailed my amended return almost 5 weeks ago. When I track the form it says, "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application...."

I called 1 week ago and spoke with an agent who said my return could possibly be at the processing center and not processed yet because she had no record of it.  I'm certain I signed the form and provided my supporting documents.  Should I re-mail my amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

I mailed my amended return almost 5 weeks ago. When I track the form it says, "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application...."

I would wait another couple of weeks before re-mailing the amended return. The IRS says you should be able to track in within 3 weeks but they don't always meet their targets. The return can take up to 16 weeks to process. If you mail it again, make sure you mail it registered mail with return receipt requested.

Here is an IRS Q&A about amended returns: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/amended-returns-form-1040x/amended-returns-form-1040x-3">htt...>
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not mail a second copy at this time.  if the IRS did receive the first copy, sending a second copy could further delay processing.  wait the 3 weeks. if you see nothing call them.     note that returns that are mailed in have to be manually processed.  with possibly thousands of them, you should realized that it takes time for this 

as Texas Roger stated - any time you mail in a return make sure you get some form of proof of delivery.  this is just as  important for original returns as amended.    you may need that receipt to prove timely filing.  

KY2
Level 2

My amended return is finally showing in the "Where's My Amended Return" tracker with a 4/17/19 received date.  It must have updated over the weekend.  Thanks for the advice.  🙂

Pear
Level 2

So how long did you wait till it get update on the IRS tool ? My tracking showed they recieved on March 11 and today I still dont get any update. I cant call anyone since no one is working now.

My Amennded Return was received on March 16th and it's still not showing up on the website nor can I talk to a live person at this time. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Because of the COVID-19 issues, the IRS has postponed processing paper returns, including the Form 1040X amended tax returns.  No specific date has been given for when the IRS will begin processing paper returns again, but only that paper returns will be processed once processing centers are able to reopen. 

At this time there is no way to predict when the returns will be reported on the IRS Get My Payment website.

The IRS instructs that if you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment.

@Pear

@MrSpy360

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pear
Level 2

Thank you for getting back to me. 

I mailed my amend at the first week of March and it almost the end of April what's the deal. And feedback. I'm positive I signed and dated and sent all the correct documents 

KY2
Level 2

It took 19 total weeks from the time I mailed my 1040X to the time I got my check in the mail last year. 

ABCJess

I filed my amended return the last week of 02/2020 and haven't recieved anything. It just keeps telling me that my amended return has not been processed yet. Its not showing the IRS has received my amended return at all. I can't talk to anyone on the phone. I have been trying to get in contact with the IRS since the first week of March... so at this point I've just been waiting. That's all that can be done right? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, that is all that can be done at this time.  

Due to the pandemic situation, the IRS has suspended the processing of mailed tax returns, including amended returns.  It is just a matter of waiting until they are back to normal operations and they begin processing mailed returns again.  Right now, there is no indication of when that might be happening.

@ABCJess

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ChasK2020

Here it is August 2020. Mailed an amended return 2 months ago, and the online tracker has no record of the IRS receiving it. There is no one to speak to at the national IRS line or local offices. And U.S. Postmaster has been dismantling high-speed sorting machines for mail so snail mail is slower than ever. At what point do you just mail another return, given the problems at the post office?

Normally an amended return takes 4 months to process ... with the covid delay expect it to take 6 months or more and there is nothing you can do to speed up the process.   

I'm in a similar situation, in that USPS tracking shows the IRS received my amended return on July 8th (it is now August 25th).

The site says "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later."

Tomorrow marks 7 weeks since they received my amended return. I realize there is an extra delay due to COVID. I don't care if the actually processing take 4 months, or even 6 months. It's not critical that it gets processed super fast. I'm really just looking for it to show on my account (the part that normally takes up to 3 weeks). This is just me wanting confirmation that the appropriate people have received it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies