turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

belaqua

I just realized that inadvertently switched my children’s social security numbers on my tax return for past few years. (Af How do I correct this for prior filed returns?

I originally made the mistake a few years ago, but then repeated it each year when I just copied the SSNs from the prior year’s filing form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

I just realized that inadvertently switched my children’s social security numbers on my tax return for past few years. (Af How do I correct this for prior filed returns?

You would just need to amend each years return that you made the mistake on.  Just log back into your account and click Amend My Return.  You will need to do each year separately and print and mail each year separate.

Before doing so, double check to make sure you did switch their social security numbers simply because they normally double check the SSN's with the Date of Birth before accepting the return.  However, since it was on the same return, it may have slipped by.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If  the IRS processed those prior year returns (that you must have mailed in)  then you don't need to amend anything.   Just make the correction this year.

belaqua

Thank you so much! (And please pardon the many typos in my original question.)

belaqua

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies