turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just e-filed my taxes, but I'm now wanting to start over to drop a dependent & add one

Is is possible for me to put the taxes I recently filed & start over?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just e-filed my taxes, but I'm now wanting to start over to drop a dependent & add one

Did you not read the screen where you clicked on the TRANSMIT NOW button ... it said you cannot stop the return. 

transmit now button.PNG

Can I cancel a pending return?

No. After you select Transmit Returns Now, your e-file goes to pending status, where it will stay until it's either been accepted or rejected by the government.

Think of pending as "in transit" or "in limbo"just like you can't cancel a letter that you sent yesterday, you can't cancel a return that's on its way to the government.

To make corrections or changes to your pending return, wait until your return's either been accepted or rejected.

• If your return gets accepted, you'll need to amend.
  • If your return gets rejected, you'll be able to make your changes before you re-submit your return.

Related Information:

What does "Pending" mean? 

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24–48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

Keep calm and check back

Until your state or the IRS processes your return,  you may hear there's "no record found." That actually means the return's still being processed. Just check back in a few days.

Related Information:

Im having trouble e filing for my stimulus. Im doing it on my smart phone. It wont show the full screen to submitt my information. Any ideas or advice????

Stop using the phone ... go to a computer. 

Or try the IRS version instead ... https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

3 IRS NON FILERS.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies