Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dana2401
Returning Member

I got a letter from the IRS about the EIC. It said I qualified for the tax credit but didn’t claim it. It’s form 15111. Anyone else get this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I got a letter from the IRS about the EIC. It said I qualified for the tax credit but didn’t claim it. It’s form 15111. Anyone else get this?

The IRS estimates that something like 1 in 5 taxpayers who qualify for the EITC don't apply for it, so the IRS is making a push that every taxpayer who qualifies can get it. Please see this IRS webpage.

You can see form 15111 here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Thousands of people have gotten that letter. The letter says you might qualify for the EIC. Fill out the form and send it back to find out. (Keep a copy.) Follow the instructions in the letter.

dana2401
Returning Member

oh really thousands of people received the same letter? I got the credit the last few years and I have been using TurboTax to file. I never had this issue where it was missed. You would think paying for the service they provide they wouldn’t let something like this slip through before allowing me to submit my return. I’m a bit frustrated and just was wondering if someone else that has received this same form could give me any insight on how long the process takes. 

I recieved the letter a few days ago n sent it back in by uploading it. If anyone else had this happen how long did it take to hear back or get money?

dana2401
Returning Member

I uploaded mine as well and when I check on my amended return it says it was received on March 8th. I called the IRS and they said it would take 8 weeks to process. 

Just wondering because this has never happened to me and I'm wondering why turbotax didn't catch it cause I filed back in March on 22nd. I just received the 15111 letter Monday. 

TT works off the information you entered in the program (which may have been incorrect)  but the IRS computer saw a possibility that you could be eligible for the EIC  so they sent out the form 15111 for you to fill in to determine if they are correct or not ... don't get your hopes up as they are just guessing at this point.  Fill in the 15111 and remit  it asap  as directed.  

Just note if  you are the non custodial parent then you are not eligible for the EIC. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies