turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a Letter 12C from the IRS. Where can I see all the supporting documents that TurboTax already submitted to the IRS, so I can figure out which ones might be missing?

This Letter 12C did NOT request Form 8962, so the help article here does not apply to me. Neither I nor my husband have health plans through Healthcare.gov. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/00/27409

The info requested in this letter includes:
- A copy of pages 1 and 2 of your return.
- Amounts and dates of all estimated tax payments you made for this tax year (if applicable).
- Any supporting documents verifying income and withholding.

I'm at a loss, because all of these docs should have been submitted by TurboTax in my original return. Why would they request them again?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got a Letter 12C from the IRS. Where can I see all the supporting documents that TurboTax already submitted to the IRS, so I can figure out which ones might be missing?

They want to see if your return matches the W2 and 1099 forms you got.  And if it matches the copies they got from your employer and 1099 issuers.   Or maybe your employer hasn't sent in their W2 copy yet.   They want to make sure you didn't type in the wrong amount from your W2 or 1099.  Or maybe you entered something on the wrong line.  Could be a lot of reasons.    There are probably people filling out fake tax returns and making up W2 entries to try to get refunds.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies

First the IRS can ask you for anything at anytime for any reason so comply as requested ASAP. 

And the info from "those docs" were entered onto a return and the return was sent to the IRS NOT the actual docs themselves.  So they are now asking you to provide them at this time probably because something is not adding up in their system.  

If you have filed your federal tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS -

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2021 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  

Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES IN THE PROGRAM AS THIS WILL MESS UP THE ARCHIVED RETURN ... ONLY DOWNLOAD THE PFD IN THE PRINT CENTER. 

After speaking with TurboTax support over the phone, I am 98% confident that this is actually a very sophisticated scam letter. A couple of clues:

They used my maiden name, rather than my correct legal name.

They are requesting a generic set of forms, rather than something specific to my account as in other 12C letters.

They are requesting the returned information to a fax number that doesn't show up on any of the IRS websites. The fax number they (likely scammers) provided is [phone number removed]. (Please let me know if you are familiar with this number - I can't find it anywhere via Google search.)

My refund status according to the IRS is Pending, not Rejected.

I am going to keep trying to reach the IRS before faxing/mailing anything back, because sending my full return details to an unknown number is just too risky.

The letter also allows for info to be sent to this address; is this address familiar to anyone?

INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE
Ogden Service Center

OGDEN, UT 84201

Thank you, I read that page in full, but it doesn't address why the IRS would be asking for a copy of forms that they already have.

It is possible they don't have all those docs ... some issuer's may not have sent them to the IRS/SS admin and or they got lost.   And the IRS has many offices in Ogden Utah which is where most IRS inquiry letters come from  ... give the number on the notice a call.  

They want to see if your return matches the W2 and 1099 forms you got.  And if it matches the copies they got from your employer and 1099 issuers.   Or maybe your employer hasn't sent in their W2 copy yet.   They want to make sure you didn't type in the wrong amount from your W2 or 1099.  Or maybe you entered something on the wrong line.  Could be a lot of reasons.    There are probably people filling out fake tax returns and making up W2 entries to try to get refunds.  

Thanks everyone for the help. After waiting 2 hours on the phone to talk to a real person at the IRS, they confirmed the letter is real, not fraudulent, and the mailing address for response is correct. Unfortunately, the person on the phone could not explain why they need all this info again, but she suggested including at least our W-2s and 1099s in addition to the first 2 pages of our 1040.

supporting docs are not included with your e-filed return.  only required forms and schedules are sent to the IRS. those have an attachment seq at the top right

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies