turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I go to Turbotax.com to file my taxes for the past 9 years. I started an LLC this year and need to file my biz taxes, I don't see how to do this on turbotax.com. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I go to Turbotax.com to file my taxes for the past 9 years. I started an LLC this year and need to file my biz taxes, I don't see how to do this on turbotax.com. Help?

It depends on the type of LLC you formed.

If this is a single member LLC that has not incorporated as an S Corp, then your LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes and you enter the income and expenses on a Schedule C.  The Schedule C is part of and included with your personal tax return, Form 1040. 

For this type of LLC you can use the TurboTax Self-Employed online edition

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/self-employed.jsp

Or if you feel that you would need assistance from a Tax Expert/CPA in completing this tax return you could use the the TurboTax Live Self-Employed edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/live/self-employed.jsp

If your LLC has incorporated as an S Corp or it is a multi-member LLC then you will need the TurboTax Business Edition.  The Business Edition can only be installed on a Windows based personal computer, not on a Mac or online.  The Business Edition cannot complete a personal tax return Form 1040.  Go to this TurboTax website for the Business Edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

AmyC
Expert Alumni

An LLC is a legal election. Depending on how many are in the LLC, you could be a sole proprietor, a partnership, or an S Corporation.

When you filed for your EIN, that paperwork shows what tax form the IRS expects you to file based on what you entered.

A sole proprietor can be a disregarded non- entity and file on your personal return with a sch C. You file a form and elect to be treated as an S Corp if that is your preference.

If you did not file a form, you are not an S Corp. If you want to be an S Corp, you need to file Form 2553 and instructions.

You could be a partnership. That requires the desktop download to a windows machine.

No matter which of these you are, the IRS has a business center that helps choose the best business for you, shows how to grow, organize and prosper. Here is my favorite IRS website: Small business

@DoninGA has great answers and links in his post that fully explain the business and software needs right above this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies