turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chai1234231
Returning Member

I filed my taxes with TurboTax and I need the exact refund number to verify my identity in order to get my refund. When I got back it says I haven’t filed my taxes.

The irs won’t give me my return until I access this number. I genuinely don’t know what to do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I filed my taxes with TurboTax and I need the exact refund number to verify my identity in order to get my refund. When I got back it says I haven’t filed my taxes.

Well if you did not save a PDF of the return yet now is a good time to do so ... 

Please follow the instructions below for a copy of your tax return after filing.

How do I get a copy of a return I filed this year ...

Maybe you're in the wrong account?  It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

@ bobbi-jo-alls32-  wrote:  "When I got back it says I haven’t filed my taxes."

If you used Online TurboTax, does that mean when you now log into your Online account, it's acting like you haven't prepared a 2021 return, and it wants you to start one?   If so, then you likely have multiple accounts and signed into the wrong one. 

Many people end up with multiple accounts.  You can have up to 5 accounts that use the same email address for notification purposes.  A User ID may be an email address, but it doesn't have to be.  It might be only part of an email address, or it can be anything at all.

To get a list of your User IDs, reset password, and recover account access, etc., you can use the tool at the link below.  When using the Account Recovery tool, try using your phone number first if you can still access it.   After that, if necessary, then run the tool on your email address(es) you can access.

NOTE: Before running the account recovery tool below, log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you might end up in a loop.  Then clear your browser Internet cache, close your browser, then reopen it, and go to the link below.  You may wish to copy this link so you can paste it into the new browser session.

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If still no luck after running that on your phone number you can still access and email address(es) that you can access,  here's another method:

Go back to the tool again, but this time leave the data field blank, scroll down a bit, then choose the small blue link that says "Try something else", and it will look you up by SSN and other parameters.

"The irs won’t give me my return until I access this number. "

@chai1234231 

IRS won't give you your refund status unless you enter the exact amount of refund you filed on Form 1040.

Otherwise, you don't need the number if your tax return was ACCEPTED. You will just wait like the rest of us.

@ fanfare wrote:

IRS won't give you your refund status unless you enter the exact amount of refund you filed on Form 1040.

Otherwise, you don't need the number if your tax return was ACCEPTED. You will just wait like the rest of us.

User didn't mention wanting to look up a refund status.   His situation may be more involved than just the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool.  He said he needs "to verify my identity in order to get my refund," which would require him to take active steps.   Perhaps he is referring to an IRS Letter asking him to ID verify and that's one of the questions.   If that's the case, then the IRS has put things on hold until identity verified.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies