turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

No, your stimulus check is not subject to offset, with the exception of past due child support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

My question is will my offset be refunded? It was taken when I filed in February 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

No, your refund was offset.  That still stands.  The stimulus will not be offset.

Cinque91

I was supposed to receive my 2020 tax refund on 2/26... will I still get my refund returned even though I filled before 3/05?/2020? 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

@Cinque91, please clarify...Are you asking about the stimulus payment or tax return refund?

Before the Covid 19 crisis hit hard, i spoke with someone at the depart of edu who i was to call about the offset. i only called to get on a payment plan so this wouldnt happen again. he stated that i was getting an offset refund due to the adjusted gross income and the fact that we had a pandemic. he said he didnt have a ton of answers, he only needed to verify my address they had on file and the check would be mailed out.  no details on when, just be mailed out. this was in late feb.to answer i think it is based on everyones agi and circumstances. call and you will find out. call dept of edu, then a number they give and follow instructions. 

So I filed my taxes in late January and they were obviously offset well before March 13 but I called the department of education just to see if I would get my offset refunded to me. I’ve seen a lot of different posts with a lot of different information so I decided to call myself and speak to someone. The rep stated I would be getting my offset refunded even though it was taken before 3/13. She also stated that the they would start mailing them out this week but she couldn’t give me an exact timeframe as to when my check would come. They will not be direct deposited they will be sent out paper check. My advice is to just call the department of education talk to a representative, they’ll pull up your account and will be able to tell you if you will be getting your offset refunded. Good luck! 

Malissayn

If you don't mind, what exactly did u ask, I'm concerned I'll be getting a, " no, I'm sorry, your not eligible," answer?

woodarr3
Returning Member

I filed my taxes with TurboTax and chose the Turbo Card as my refund option. I never saw a deposit because my entire refund was offset for student loans. I know I’m getting refunded for that offset, but where will my stimulus and a paper check or the Turbo Card were my original deposit would have gone but didn’t because of offset

@Malissayn  I called the department of education and asked them if my offset was going to be refunded to me. They pull up your account and verify your information and they can see the dates it was taken and all of that. They’ll be able to see if you’re getting a refund or not. It was simple only took a few minutes. 

@woodarr3  The department of Ed is mailing out paper checks to the address they have on file for you. You can call and update or verify your address with them. When I called they verified it with me as well as my phone and email. Good luck. 

My taxes were offset prior to the 13th I called and they will be refunding!!! They said they began sending checks on 4/13 and it could take up to 30 days to receive. 

Xavier6

This is False anyone filed before the march date will not get refund I filed in feb it posted to the DOE on Feb 28 and I missed the date this is bogus I filed early cause I needed it and now I deff do and instead of just helping all of us right now it’s a bunch of games beyond bogus 

@Xavier6 Did you call the department of education? I absolutely filed and my return was offset prior to the 13th and it’s being refunded. It’s definitely worth a shot, especially if you’re in need of the funds. 

My refund was offset on march 10th, so I'm assuming by what I'm reading I will get it back? I tried calling but I got off work to late and couldnt speak to a representative.  So does the 10th cut it??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies