Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

This is the email I got. I wasn’t sure if it was a mass email they just sent to everyone or if it is specifically for me, as my payment was made March 11. Did you get his email? How long after did you receive the check in the mail?E2544EF9-5F31-4B4A-9D86-29BF4779F37F.png

I filed my taxes in February 2020 my return was garnished from student loans, will I get a refund due to CoronaVirus?

Has anyone recieved their offset refund yet? 

usnyto
Returning Member

Is this your assumption or is there somewhere that states this in writing? I was offset for DOE and got a letter dated Feb 5, 2020 that my entire refund was taken. When I called a couple weeks ago I was told no, sorry this was before the dates.  I hope they changed it to all offsets but I check regularly and it continues to say March 13.

Did you get your refund check yet?

Ok update.  I called the debt collection agency that is handling my student loan today. They said my payment was processed March 11(my tax return was approved feb 25th I believe) and the lady said my refund for my tax return offset was processed yday and I’ll get it in the mail in 2-4 weeks. I was so happy to hear I’m getting it all back. So I’m not sure which date they are going by. From what I’ve read everywhere it is March 13. But my debt was paid March 11. So they may be doing the 5th. Maybe they are refunding them all. Idk. Just giving my update to everyone. 

Has anyone actually received their refund yet?

As of today, no refund yet. 

HMDEAN

Does this count for state as well as federal? I know they can take both?

Boy2nice

Do you have that number? And can you tell me your experience when talking with them? Did they make the process easy? 

I received mine last week and have a friend who just received theirs.. it’ll be coming from the department of treasury.. mine was one of the first to be taken since I filed right away so hold on they’re coming!

When was yours taken?

They took mine in late February.  (I filed in early January, but it was held back because of EIC.) I'm a single mom with three boys.

The DOE said I would get it back though when I called around March 28th. 

Still no check yet...But my loan balance went back up.

I'm praying it comes soon, as my AC unit died. 😕

Mine was sent over to them February 27 and posted as a payment March 7th.. if your loan balance went back up that means the check is on the way.. that’s how I realized mine was coming.. as if state I don’t know about because I’m still waiting on my state refund to even process.. the phone number to debt resolution group is *Eight hundred 800 six two one 621 three one one five 3115*.. select the option to hear your balance.. don’t select the option to find out about your refund because the automated system sucks 

So it says my offset was received three 3_12-2020 for my full tax refund. But online  my stuff say i have never made payment. Will i get a offset refund

Update from this original post, we filed our 2019 on Feb 16, we were garnished /offset due to student loan defaults, so we never got our tax refund obviously, as of today 5/12/20 the department of treasury sent us a check of our offset back, and another check of what they garnished from my husbands payroll, so it’s not only for March 13 and after!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies