Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my joint tax return. I didn't claim my lyft income cause I was told I didn't have to if I made less than 20000. I made less than that. I just want to make sure I don't have to claim that incom

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

I filed my joint tax return. I didn't claim my lyft income cause I was told I didn't have to if I made less than 20000. I made less than that. I just want to make sure I don't have to claim that incom

Unfortunately, you were misinformed -- generally, you have to include all income on your tax return, unless it's excluded by law.  And rideshare income isn't excluded.

This confusion almost surely stems from the fact that rideshare companies aren't required to send you a Form 1099-K unless you've accepted credit cards, debit cards or pre-paid cards and had over $20,000 in sales and more than 200 individual transactions through a third party processor.

This doesn't mean that you aren't required to report this income, only that your rideshare company isn't required to send you Form 1099-K.

Long story short, you need to amend your return to include this income (and, of course, claim any expenses that arose from your services).  Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

Also, just to help you along, please see the TurboTax Help articles Where do I enter my Lyft/Uber income?How do I enter income from Uber or Lyft when I didn’t get a Form 1099 this year?, and How do I enter my Lyft tax information?for guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you were misinformed -- generally, you have to include all income on your tax return, unless it's excluded by law.  And rideshare income isn't excluded.

This confusion almost surely stems from the fact that rideshare companies aren't required to send you a Form 1099-K unless you've accepted credit cards, debit cards or pre-paid cards and had over $20,000 in sales and more than 200 individual transactions through a third party processor.

This doesn't mean that you aren't required to report this income, only that your rideshare company isn't required to send you Form 1099-K.

Long story short, you need to amend your return to include this income (and, of course, claim any expenses that arose from your services).  Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

Also, just to help you along, please see the TurboTax Help articles Where do I enter my Lyft/Uber income?How do I enter income from Uber or Lyft when I didn’t get a Form 1099 this year?, and How do I enter my Lyft tax information?for guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies