turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed an amended return but there's an issue with it. I came can't get through to anyone at the irs. Can turbotax help me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed an amended return but there's an issue with it. I came can't get through to anyone at the irs. Can turbotax help me?

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.

Go to this IRS website for the status of an amended return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Go to this IRS website for amended tax return FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

Note it is taking the IRS 6 months and longer before they start processing amended tax returns.

@ccswagerty  the iRS is woefully backlogged.  Assume amendments will take 9-12 months from the time yiu submitted until they are processed. Here is what the IRS website states:4

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of July 23, 2022, we had 2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

I would suggest doing NOTHING until the IRS processed the amendment.  they may fix whatever the issue is.  and if they don't you can submit another amendment at that time.  you risk making the situation worse by attempting to make another fix at this time.  just be patient....

If there is an issue with your 1040-X 

A) IRS will find it and make the adjustment. Or,

B) you will file amendment No.2 to correct the error on amendment No.1, after IRS approves it.

@ccswagerty 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What is the issue with the amended return that you filed?

Do not post any personal information or contact information. This is a public web site that anyone can view.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies