Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My amended return has been adjusted, when will i receive the check?

GOT IT!  

6 July 22, the check and notice as to what was done arrived with interest, 2.5 yrs after the amendment was submitted and after an initial denial when it was finally reviewed about 1.5 yrs after submission and then an additional year after appealing, with info recovered directly from the IRS website.

I posted somewhere about my dilemma, having submitted an amended 2016 and 2017 tax return in Nov 2019, shortly after receiving a CP2000, stating I failed to report a cancelled loan and owed $2400 for the 2017 tax year. The 2016 amendment went through without a problem within the 16 weeks allotted, just before the pandemic shut down in March 2020, the 2017 amendment was side lined apparently waiting on the results of the CP2000, which was resolved after a year and multiple resubmissions of waiver qualifying documents that the IRS appeared to be ignoring, as they reduced the amount twice before finally zeroing the 2017 debt.  

I opted for a tax advocate when the option was offered after a year of waiting for the 2017 amendment and in my opinion it was a waste of time. I had even less knowledge as to what was going on for the 6 months the amendment was in their hands in Puerto Rico (I live in FL.) and during that time it was reassigned to another agent. They didn't keep their contact appointments that they set, or return calls in a timely manner in accordance with their own commitments. While in their possession, the main IRS body has no access to your account, so if the advocate can't be reached, you're just stuck. They were marginally to not helpful and eager to close the case after the refund was denied on the premise that my 2017 income was not earned. I explained that Turbotax calculated a return for a reason so there must be something. 

I declined to have the case closed and opted for an appeal. Within a few minutes of searching the net, I discovered that I lived in a county in FL that was considered a disaster area following hurricane Irma (turbotax asked about this) and that I could use either my 2016, or 2017 earned income to calculate my 2017 tax return. That is what turbo tax apparently corrected for. I sent the documentation from the IRS website in with the appeal around June-July 2021 and then again in March 2022 after not hearing anything and received a type written response in April 2022, stating my amendment should be completed in 3 mo from that date, which would be some time in June 2022, or they would contact me with another update.

It was long awaited, but worth it. In the future, I'd address a dual tax problem, in order of priority and would probably avoid a tax advocate if one was offered. Much of the madness could have been avoided with simple notification stating the documents had been received as I logged a total of at least 4 resubmissions of documents they already had, that I was not sure about. That's not less than 6 submissions of tax documents that could have been kept to 2, if they had simply let me know they received them.

My amended return has been adjusted , when will I receive it

@Tiara Scott -  the IRS is woefullybacklogged.  assume that from the time you submitted the amendment, it'll be 9-12 months until the IRS processes it.  Here is what the IRS website states: 

(note that the IRS states "more that 20 weeks" with no upper limit;

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of July 2, 2022, we had 2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

ywxlorrie
Returning Member

Did you get your check yet?

AliceR
Returning Member

When will I get it

AliceR
Returning Member

When will I get my amend tax return.aluce rush at [removed]

There is not much record on this forum of the time between 1040-X APPROVED and refund (if any) RECEIVED.

You can tell us your experience when your check comes.

Patricia Floyd
Returning Member

Do the IRS will deposit my check 

@Patricia Floyd wrote:

Do the IRS will deposit my check 

You have posted to a very long and old thread of over 500 messages.  Please explain in detail exactly the type of information you need.

crenshawshirley44
Returning Member

I need to know if we will receive  a amended refund. 

What kind of adjustment  have IRS done on our taxes.   We been waiting  a long time.

[email address removed] 

@crenshawshirley44 - the IRS is woefully backlogged.  assume a 9-12 month wait from the time you filed the amendment until the amendment is processed.  this is from the IRS website: 

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of July 23, 2022, we had 2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

note it talks about "more than 20 weeks' with no upper limit to how long it will be. 

@AliceR

This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@AliceR

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Patricia Floyd
Returning Member

I got no replies on mines either

@Patricia Floyd - the IRS is woefully backlogged.  It may be 9-12 months from the time you sumbitted it before they process the amendment 

here is what the IRS website states: (note they state 'more than 20 weeks, with no upper limit on how long it may take)

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of July 23, 2022, we had 2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies