turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LynnRay

I filed 2020 taxes and claimed I did not receive 2nd stimulus. After filing, I received stimulus. How do I fix now that my refund was accepted?

I waited until after January 15 to file my taxes and claimed the rebate credit. I got my stimulus well after I filed my taxes and now need to take the $600 off my taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I filed 2020 taxes and claimed I did not receive 2nd stimulus. After filing, I received stimulus. How do I fix now that my refund was accepted?

There is nothing to "fix" for now---just let the IRS process the return.

We do not know if entering the wrong stimulus amount will delay your refund --- or for how long if it does.   The IRS has not offered any guidance yet on how they will handle returns that have incorrect stimulus amounts entered.  We all just have to wait and see.  You are among many people  who were confused and entered incorrect stimulus amounts, or who filed early and then received a check.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MikalaM
Returning Member

Any updates on this? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You do not need to amend your return due to any stimulus misstatements on your tax return.   The IRS has published they will review and catch those errors and notify you of any corrections.  See questions G2 and G3 here.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So for instance I mistakenly entered the 2nd and 3rd payment instead of the 1st and 2nd, which increased my refund, they will catch it and let me know? I do not need to do anything?

Thanks,

H

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, they will catch it, adjust your refund, and send you the appropriate amount along with a letter of explanation.   This will require manual processing which will mean your refund will take a bit longer.  Perhaps quite a bit longer, unfortunately.  

@uniqe2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies