Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't understand this question, Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I don't understand this question, Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced?

If this is the loan you took out to purchase the house, it is only an original loan, even if it changed lenders (was sold to a different bank).

In this case the answer is No.

If you took out a loan, and then you went to the bank and "Refinanced" (ended the first loan and took out a different loan OR kept the loan but pulled out cash), making the loan larger) then you would answer Yes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response! I was not comfortable doing my own income tax return. I have given it to a professional to do it for me.
Thank you again!
How can i delete everything for turbo?
Yolanda

Bguffb10

Yes but it uses the term "This Loan" implying that you refinanced the same loan. What if you refinanced with a different lender essentially changing the loan. Are you not buying the house all over again with them?  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No. Some people refinance for lower rates but many people cash out for other things. That interest used for other things is not deductible.

It does not matter if loan 1 or loan 10, "this loan" means the one you are typing in to determine if it is a refinance or HELOC. Loan 1 would not be a HELOC or loan that was refinanced. While loan 2 would be a loan that was refinanced or HELOC.

@Bguffb10

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Geo1234

The problem is the language in the dialog is ambiguous and poor use of language.  It's akin to "did you park your car at the fast food restaurant or did you buy a hamburger?"  Your could have done both or neither or each, but the questions are unrelated.

Geo1234

There is no such thing as refinancing the same loan, technically, you pay off the existing loan during settlement of the new loan.  There is a payoff and a new loan, and they should  be differentiated and asked about separately in the stupid dialog.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies