turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raygro
Returning Member

I don’t know what kind of comments are normally posted here. Neither do I know what sort of people would be reading this. I will not be able to tell my tale without more

Space  TT said I had a $3252 refund coming. IRS said No
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I don’t know what kind of comments are normally posted here. Neither do I know what sort of people would be reading this. I will not be able to tell my tale without more

keep typing... please add more detail....

The title box is limited, the details box is not.

If the IRS changed your refund then the IRS should follow up in about 3 weeks with a letter explaining the reason.  Usually it is because the IRS had income reported to them that was not in your tax return or you entered it in the wrong place - the IRS expects to find certain types of income in the proper place and does not search to see if you reported the income but in the wrong place.

Did you get a letter - what did it say?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

This is a public user forum and the whole world can see what you post so don't post any personal information.  We are just other users like you.  

Some ideas.....

I would check over your return and see if you can see anything wrong especially in the payments section.  Make sure you agree with all the amounts listed.   Like is the difference the same or close to the refund you got last year?  Maybe you put down that you applied last year's refund to this year?  Or you put down you made a payment with an extension or paid an estimated payment that you didn't make?

A common error is showing an estimated payment on 1040 schedule 3 line 8 you didn't make or payment with an extension you didn't send in.  Sometimes people start an extension form on purpose or accidentally and an amount gets entered for a tax due to send in with the extension.

Or you claimed Excess Social Security paid on Schedule 3 line 11.  That happens when you are married and enter both spouse's W2s under the same name.

Or if you got any 1099Misc forms you didn't report it as self employment income on Schedule C and pay the SE tax on it.  It  might have showed up on 1040 Schedule 1 line 8 for Other Income instead of line 3 business income.

Or the IRS changed your income.  A common thing they change is the taxable amount of any 1099R for pension, 401K or IRA distributions or conversions on 1040.  And if you get Social Security and they increase some other income it will make more of your SS taxable. 

Turbo Tax is a self prepared return.  It has no way of knowing or checking that you entered something wrong or in the wrong place or entered something twice  Or left something out.  It doesn't check against any outside sources.  The IRS has copies of all the W2s and 1099s your employer and banks/brokers, etc. sent in to match against.  Turbo Tax only checks the calculations of what you entered.   It is your responsibility to check it over before you file.

raygro
Returning Member

You have my permission to retrieve my tax return and verify the accuracy of my inquiry. My taxes were straight forward and simple. We are discussing my 2018 return, which I filed last year. TT said I was due about $3250. IRS said no. Wanted me to provide proof of the same $3250 figure as the refund. As I explained to the IRS I could not supply proof of a line item I had not entered into my return. 

Sorry we are just other users here.  No one can see or review your return but you.  Not even Turbo Tax.  You have to find out what they changed.  Print out your return and post what lines you don't understand.

Where did you see the $3252 refund?  Was it on your 2018 tax return 1040 line 20a?  Or it might have been the total of federal and state?  

raygro
Returning Member

I’m not posting because I don’t understand, I’m posting because TT won’t respond to my situation. 

@raygro - okay, then let's try it this way...... please understand that TT is responsible for the software and the output of the software; they are not responsible for what people enter into it.  In other words, if a bug in the software causes the return to be wrong they take responsibility for that; but if the data is entered wrong and that is what causes the return to be incorrect, they are not responsible for that 

There are a lot of smart people on this thread who are trying to help.  What caused the "error"? what you entered or how TT processed that entry? Can you explain to us the details to us?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies