turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I didn't receive my full federal refund

Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

Be aware also that your Federal refund and state refund do NOT come together. Federal and state tax returns are processed by two completely separate entities.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@laddired5 To add to xmasbaby0's comment, there could be refund Refund Offsets, and if that is the case, the IRS will send you a letter with an explanation. Please refer to the article below.

Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You ever figure out what happened to you taxes last year ? I had the same thing happen to me this year !

Why dud b

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@twlittle2020

We're sorry, but your question is not clear. How can we help?

Binky191

I only received $960 of a $3600 federal return.. why?

@Binky191

MY REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

There can be a number of reasons why your refund was less than the amount you expected. First of all, look carefully at your actual tax returns.  There is sometimes confusion about the amount of refund to expect when users misinterpret the “summary” they saw in TurboTax. The amount of your refund is on your tax return.  Federal refund line 20 on Form 1040  State tax forms are all different so we cannot tell you what line to look at on your state form.  BUT it is important to actually LOOK at your tax return forms yourself and see the amounts of your tax refunds and/or tax due.  A lot of confusion would be avoided by doing that.

TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes, child support, student loan debt, etc. you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.  It is also possible that the IRS caught a mistake you made and reduced your refund.

It is also possible that your state reduced your refund for debts owed in your state—if the state reduced your state refund you will receive a letter from the state.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107

Be aware also that your Federal refund and state refund do NOT come together. Federal and state tax returns are processed by two completely separate entities.  There is no rule as to which one will come first,

Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

Reduced Refund     https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rafita74

Hi, I didn’t receive my full federal tax

@rafita74 Return to the question you posted and scroll up to the reply directly above your post.

Izeila

Is anyone still having this issue? It just happened to me too last month. And no irs letter either. It might have something to do with our state? 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below link for more information concerning not receiving your full refund:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/why-is-my-direct-deposited-refund-or-check-lower-than...

I didnt get my full refund. I was supposed to get 295 and all I got was 184. It says estimate refund date is 11th of March. And so far all I got was 184. So one day left to recieve the rest of my refund. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Sky9698 It is possible the government may have made a correction to your tax return, resulting in a lower than anticipated refund. You will get an official explanatory letter when this happens. Please see the link below for more information:

Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?

Did you get all your refund back 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If your refund was lower than the amount you were expecting, please refer to the website faq CassLO posted above. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies