turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am due the second stimulus and I’m on a IRS payment plan. If I claim the rebate credit will it be taken with the rest of my 2020 refund?

I’ve been on a payment plan for my 2016 taxes. I pay monthly and my refunds since have been used to offset. I got the first stimulus. I have not received the second. I’m assuming the worst and assuming the irs made an error and I won’t get it. I know the stimulus is not to be seized to offset tax debt. However, if I claim the rebate credit on my 2020 return for the missed 2nd stimulus, won’t that be taken to offset my tax debt along with the rest of my 2020 return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I am due the second stimulus and I’m on a IRS payment plan. If I claim the rebate credit will it be taken with the rest of my 2020 refund?

Your stimulus payment will be used to offset your tax liability in 2020, but not any taxes you owed prior to that. So, if you are due a refund in 2020, you will receive it up to the amount of the stimulus payment you are entitled to.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I won’t owe for 2020. There will be a refund amount but it will be taken to offset my outstanding tax debt from 2016 I’m sure like 2017, 2018, and 2019 were.  

Let’s say my 2020 refund is 750 and I claim my recovery rebate credit for 600. 750 will be taken for my 2016 tax debt and and I will receive 600? Is that your understanding? Thanks. 

Hello,

We are happy to share that stimulus payments will begin to be deposited today, Jan 8th, for millions of our customers affected by the IRS error. We expect most of these payments to be available today, but banks could take a few business days to process. Payment will be deposited into the same bank account that customers received their 2019 tax refund. Customers receiving a stimulus payment received an email from TurboTax letting them know their stimulus payment is on the way. 

For more stimulus information, please visit the Stimulus hub here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Thank you for your patience! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies