turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

squilli

I am 17Y.O. Filed tax earlier and did not allow to be claimed. Then got the 1.2kcheck Now parents filing and will claim me and revising mine. Will gvt take back my 1.2k?

Hi, I'm 17 and followed the instructions on turbotax to get my 2019 return earlier in the year. However, I was not checked for "eligible to be claimed". I then got the 1.2k stimulus check. Now my parents are filing their 2019 taxes and are claiming me as a dependent and revising my 2019 return. Will I have to return my stimulus check or do they(IRS) not care? Thanks for the help.

-Will
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am 17Y.O. Filed tax earlier and did not allow to be claimed. Then got the 1.2kcheck Now parents filing and will claim me and revising mine. Will gvt take back my 1.2k?

You need to return the Economic Stimulus Payment that you should have not received since you were not eligible.

Go to this IRS website for how to return the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-returning-the-economic-impac...

You were not supposed to receive a stimulus check.  At your age you can be claimed as a dependent and should have indicated as such on your own tax return.  You made a mistake very common for teenagers and students filing tax returns for the first time by not saying on your own return that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

Unfortunately for your parents, when they try to e-file their own return, it will be rejected because you filed incorrectly and said you could not be claimed.  So you should alert them to that now.  They will have to print, sign and mail their own tax return that claims you as a dependent.  They cannot e-file this year.  (even if you amend your return.)

As for the check you received:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-returning-the-economic-impac...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies