turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

syddeann

I accidentally put that I did not receive a stimulus in 2020 because I thought it was referring to the second stimulus. I don't want to get into trouble. What should I do?

I received the first stimulus but not the second and I'm a non-filer.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I accidentally put that I did not receive a stimulus in 2020 because I thought it was referring to the second stimulus. I don't want to get into trouble. What should I do?

did you complete the 2020 tax filing?

if no, then go to the Federal Review section and correct the stimulus payments. 

are you using the 'free' edition? you shouldn't have to pay for this, assuming you are still a non-filer.

syddeann

I did complete the 2020 filing. I didn't realize my mistake until afterward. I'm so worried I'm going to get into trouble. I just wanted to claim the second stimulus that I did not receive. 

so not sure I am tracking... 

there were two boxes to place your stimulus payments

what did you put in the 1st box? what did you put in the 2nd box? 

how much did you ACTUALLY  receive from the 1st stimulus and how much did you receive on the 2nd stimulus (zero, right?)

@syddeann 

If you entered $600 on line 30 for EIP2 , not received.

then that is the correct filing.

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason,

SUCH AS, to correct your EIP refund request..
AND, to find your AGI next year.

OR, to verify you are getting the EIP refund you expected.

syddeann

It just said "did you receive a stimulus?" And I checked no without thinking. But I have since contacted someone and they told me that the IRS will check and approve the amount. They'll more than likely catch the error and it will be fixed. Thanks everyone for your input.

And yes, $1200 the first time. $0 the second time.

syddeann

I e-filed with TurboTax. This is my first time e-filing. It was a step by step process, it didn't ask for the amount. Just simply asked if I received the stimulus and there was a box to check either yes or no. But I have since talked to someone and they said the IRS will review and approve the amount so most likely the error will be caught and fixed. Thanks.

right  - that is where I was going to lean as well. Good luck - 

Ok ...  there is NOTHING you can do  since you filed the return with incorrect info on it and the return is pending acceptance or rejection.   Watch your email over the next 3 weeks for the acceptance or rejection message. 

If the IRS rejects the return  then you can make the correction and  resend the return.  

If the IRS accepts the return for processing then all you can do is WAIT for them to catch the mistake which they will probably do but this will delay the processing time of the return. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies