Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aic1990

I accidentally marked "checking" account on my direct deposit - it is a "savings" account. Will this make a difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I accidentally marked "checking" account on my direct deposit - it is a "savings" account. Will this make a difference?

No, it should not make a difference. As long as your routing number and account number are correct, the IRS should not have a problem depositing the funds into the account. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

15 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

No, it should not make a difference. As long as your routing number and account number are correct, the IRS should not have a problem depositing the funds into the account. 

Nogoria

I disagree, perhaps it's by bank, but I'm currently in the exact situation where the IRS said they made the deposit. My bank said they didn't and it seems to be down to the difference of the checking/saving box.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Nogoria When did the IRS show they sent the refund? Once your refund status on the IRS shows "Refund Sent" it can take 1 to 5 business days for the financial institution to deposit fund into your account.

Nogoria

It's been about eight days. The back verified that it was rejected for that reason.

According the IRS agent I talked to. About three weeks for the rejected deposit to show up for them and then up to five weeks to issue a paper check. 

tcs1126
Returning Member

what bank do you have?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@tcs1126 This is an older thread. Are you asking what bank Turbo Tax has?

tcs1126
Returning Member

No,I was asking what bank rejected him because I also accidentally put in my checking account and routing number, but hit savings instead of checking and I'm worried advia will reject it

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

As long as the routing number and account number are correct, the bank  should not reject it. The IRS will check the routing number, account number, and name on the account. The name on the account must match the name on the return. 

tcs1126
Returning Member

Yes the account and routing number are correct, along with the name on the account, like i said i just accidentally puched checking instead of savings and seeing someone say their bank rejected them has got me worried.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

As CarrisaM stated above, as long as the routing number and account number are correct, the bank should not reject it. But if your bank does reject it, the IRS will mail you a paper check. 

Please click What if I entered the wrong bank account for direct deposit? to learn more. 

tcs1126
Returning Member

okay because i have seen people saying they will reject it even if everything is right, but you marked the wrong box.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

It is as TerukoL and CarissaM have stated above. 

Fer2
Returning Member

• I accidentally checked "checking" and the account is from "savings", since I don't have an account, I put a friend's, is there a problem with that?
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Fer2 It can vary by bank, but normally it is not a problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies