turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcmilval
Returning Member

How upgrade to TT Live Full Service?

After 2020 filing with a TT Premium or DeLuxe I later filed a 2020 1040X and it was accepted but I now need to file another 1040X to make another change. I want to use TT “live full service” to do it (and answer some related questions). I can’t figure out how to sign up for that service. I watched the video and heard I should select “upgrade” from a menu but I can’t find the menu. I need detailed help to sign up. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

We cannot tell from your post whether you used online software or desktop software.   If you used desktop (the CD/download) you do not have the option to upgrade to "Live".   Only users of online TurboTax can use "Live".  And another word of caution---do not complicate your life and confuse the IRS and delay your refund by trying to amend again while they are still working on processing your Form 1040X.   It is never a good idea to put two returns into the system at the same time.   That will create a mess that could take a very long time to sort out.

Before you try to do anything else, wait for your amended return to be fully processed.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mcmilval
Returning Member

In reply to mashbaby0, I am using online software. Also, as I said in my posting "I later filed a 2020 1040X and it was accepted" so I'll repeat  here that IRS has formally accept the amendment. Now, since I am not disqualified by either software or timing, I need to know precisely how to upgrade to TT live full service for help with another amendment. Step by step please, since I have spent a lot of time trying without success. I saw an answer that told me to select "upgrade" from a menu but I don't know where to go to access the menu. Will appreciate your help.

I don't think that the LIVE option is allowed for any amended return  AND  you should not amend again until the first amended return had not only been accepted for processing but it is actually fully processed and you have the amended refund in hand or have paid the balance due.  But if the option to use the LIVE function is allowed then click on the amend option to open the return to see if you can still upgrade to LIVE.

If you cannot then seek a local tax professional near you. 

The second amended return must be mailed in so it is not qualified for the LIVE service ... seek local professional guidance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies