turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to correct turbo tax form error?

In the forms view of the desktop home and business edition there is an error in line 3 of the social security worksheet.  Line 3 omits the comment to add amounts from 1040 line 4 d and 6 causing an error.  Please compare the TT social security worksheet line 3 with IRS I1040GI general instructions for the social security worksheet.  Please advise how soon that this can be corrected in an update.  Thanks, Tax Professional
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@JEFFCT 

I reported that offline to the moderators a couple days ago.  I tested it , and the underlying software actually includes lines 4d and 6.  SO it's just the text that is in error.

A different user posted a screenshot of a page from some previous IRS instructions (might have been an early draft copy) that matches what text is in the TTX text.  But  it certainty isn't the proper current SS Worksheet instructions.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The social security worksheet line 3 now contains lines 4d and 6 which agrees with IRS, however, all the lines are blank except for Line 1 and Line 20.  I filled them in on the I1040GI sheet and TT now agrees with the calculated amounts expected.  But, lines 2 through 19 are blank even though there should be numbers in them.  For example, my line 1 shows just over 23K so line 2 should be have but TT shows no entry.  The social security worksheet text is now OK but the values for lines 2 through 19 are all blank.  Please update so I can see the numbers.  I checked all the calculations again today and they are good but I am tired of losing time with this sheet even though it doesn't need to be submitted, I should have correct values.  

thanks,

I have no idea what's going on.

Delete the entire SS sheet worksheet and see what happens when it regenerates.

And I have no idea what you meant by:

" I filled them in on the I1040GI sheet "  

Huh?????

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I deleted the entire SS worksheet  but it won't regenerate.  I went back to the step by step mode and I noticed that when I deleted the sheet, that it also deleted all my wife's and my social security income and my refund had changed.  I don't know how to regenerate it without re-entering the SS income.

I am referring to the SS worksheet in the I1040 GI general instructions.  Both the TT and GI versions should fill out the same.  Before the update which added lines 4d and 6 to line 3 discussion, lines 2 through 19 would fill out but since the update they no longer fill in.  All I have is numbers in lines 1 and 20.  If I do all the calculations manually, the final line 20 number calculates to the same value whether I use the revised TT SS work sheet of the IRS general instruction version.  So, something went wrong in the  update.

I have spent  considerable time troubleshooting this TT error and I wish someone would fix it once and for all.

@JEFFCT 

Yes , you have to Re-enter both your SS incomes amounts in the interview....... to repopulate the software's  SS worksheet....otherwise there is no need for the software to create that software worksheet.

No, the line numbers and calculations on TTX software do not match exactly with the 1040 GI sheet (now that you've clarified what "1040 GI" stands for).

...for instance the TTX software pulls the 1040GI line 4 into the TTX line 3 of the TTX worksheet....and does something about Foreign income in line 4 instead.  But the IRS has (so far) accepted the TTX calculations being correct with it's final result for that calculation.

There's nothing we users can do if you think its wrong.  There are simply too many inputs that need to be considered for any of us to figure out the details of what you are entering (right or wrong) 

Work with Customer Support, and they can check things out with a Diagnostic file from you (once you put both your SS incomes back into your tax file).   maybe they'll find something that is messed up...maybe not:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies