turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lambkamp
Returning Member

How do you go back to the interview process and make a change to a previously answer?

No details are necessary.  The question is simple and direct .. it's even intuitive  🙂
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do you go back to the interview process and make a change to a previously answer?

Sign onto your online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Click on Tax Home.  Click on Take me to my return

OR-

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state.  

This will take you back to the 2018 online tax return.

lambkamp
Returning Member

Hi....Thanks for the quick reply.    I should say this is a 2018 return that hasn't been filed yet ... so, I'm still creating it, and will file by Oct 15.    The problem is, and has always been ... when you are answering the interview questions, you might misunderstand the options, and answer incorrectly, which produces an incorrect form.   Sometimes you can make corrections to that form later ... depends on the form.

I need to go back and delete two assets from a 4562 form. (wrong choice for asset depreciation)   ... turns out that once you complete the interview on that subject, there is no way to go back and remove those assets from the form... so, that leaves only the option to go back and enter, or re-start the interview process for that subject.     Going back to the interview process for a specific category is a Turbo Tax Black Art ..  

Are you one of the very few that have that knowledge?  Regards, Michael

You can delete the incorrect forms and then go back through the interview to enter the correct tax data.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen.

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

lambkamp
Returning Member

Yes... indeed.  That should be a good solution.  And, Thanks again for the quick reply.  Unfortunately, the "Delete or Remove" form 4562 when selected, and using Tools ..doesn't work.  The form just isn't removed, and the TAX increases, each time it's "deleted" 😡    There is seriously something wrong with the program, and methinks I will have to start with a new return from the beginning.  The good news is the CD permits (4) returns before I have to purchase another one.     

Too bad I can't see my post that you replied to, while I'm writing this reply to you.   (some forums permit a scroll to the entire thread which includes a current reply in progress)

I spent several hours on the phone to a CPA at Turbo Tax ... we tried everything... nothing worked.  For your benefit, here's what I learned regarding the relationship between the general list of depricated items and the form 4562:

If you elect to take a 100% deduction for an asset .. do not do so during the interview process.  Because, the asset will be added to the Form 4562 (as it should) .. but, will NOT be added to the list of depreciated assets in schedule C.    You can always "edit" an asset from that list, if it is in that list, and convert it to 5 years, or 100% for the first year.   However, if it is never entered into that list during the interview questions (which is what happened to me)  there will be no way to remove the item(s) from the form 4560 where the interview process placed it.  There will also be no way to delete Form 4562!   (Big program flaw)

If you first enter all your assets to the Schedule C list using the "add asset" box, rather than using the interview process, it is very easy to select how you wish to depreciate the asset using "edit" ... and, depending on your choices when "editing" the asset, it will automatically be added, or removed from Form 4562 as is appropriate.

By now..I think the only solution to my problem is to delete the first return, and start a second, from the beginning ... and remember  NOT to add assets within the interview process for 100% depreciation in the first year.

Thanks... Regards, Michael

Looks like you have thoroughly gone through this process.  

You mentioned a CD.  If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions you are not limited in the number of tax returns that can be created, completed and filed.  The limitation is that you can only e-file 5 federal tax returns using the desktop editions.  Any returns greater than the 5 have to be printed and mailed.

If you are using the desktop editions then you can go to Forms mode by clicking on Forms.  From the Forms mode screen you should have been able to delete the Asset Entry Worksheet for the Schedule C activity.  That would have removed the asset from the Form 4562.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies