Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I pull up my tax return to check calculations?

how can I download my .tax return file using PC computer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

@ob2984 - if you downloaded the *.TAX file, you'd need to desktop version of TT to load it and read it.

what are you trying to calculate? That is why you pay TT in the first place - to do all the calc's and they guarentee the accuracy of those calc's.

maybe we can save you some effort if you explain what you are trying to re-calculate, 

Well now I know why I couldn’t download that version. We don’t have TT on our computer.

We had an inquiry from the IRS and I need to see how my spouse answered the questions in a couple of areas to understand why they reduced our amount from what TT calculated. We did pay for audit support but not sure if this falls under it? I tried pulling up my return by using the Amend Option but that is not opening all the sections I need …so odd. 

No you should not click on amend.   You need to undo that.  You should Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

If you clicked on the amend button to fix it you might need to undo that first.  How to delete an Amended return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbota...

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.

Select 2021, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

@ob2984 - what did the iRS adjust? By chance was it the Child Tax Credit or the Recovery Rebate Credit? that is what most all the posts on these boards are about.

1) which one was adjusted

2) what is on Line 28 and Line 30 of your tax return?

let's start there.....

@NCperson I looked back over and I see why they adjusted our amount in relation to the Economic Relief payments. Line 30 has $5,600 however, we did received that amount from the IRS so that was our error. What I don't understand now is line 28. We have $3600 but we should have received $7200 since we have 2 children as of 2020. Why did they only pay us half of the amount? 

The Child Tax Credit on line 28 is similar to line 30.  You should have already got half of it July-Dec.  Check your bank accounts again.  So 600/mo?  And you should have got IRS letter 6419 saying what they sent you.  Each spouse should get a letter for half.  

Did you not get the other 1/2 in advance in monthly payment from July to Dec ?   If you did then you only get the other 1/2 of the credit on the tax return ... you don't get the advance & the credit.  

@ob2984 - for the child tax credit

1) look at line 14f of Form 8812 - that is what you told Turbo Tax you received from the IRS

2) look at your bank account statements from July - Dec, 2021.  Please do not do this from memory, literally open each of the 6 statements and review what you received from the IRS

if 1) and 2) do not match, this difference is what the IRS adjusted

@NCperson Thank you for responding and for your help. I did what you suggested and the numbers in our bank account and on line14f do match. That would be half of the $7200 they estimated we should receive. How can I be sure we will receive the other half in our return? The adjusted amount from our Relief Pay error is $1,054... Should it be $3600 more? Hope this makes sense

Ok ... so you have a stimulus credit error that was corrected by the IRS  ... the amount of the stimulus credit that you did not get in advance you are eligible for will be on line 30 of the form 1040 and the rest of the CTC on line 28.

@ob2984 

as long as Form 8812 line 14f matches your bank statements (which you state it does), then Line 28 is correct as it is all math, based on your income and children's ages.  For most with 2 children Line 28 should be $3600, but for upper income couples (over $150,000), the math gets complex, but rest assumed Turbo Tax would have calculated it correctly, so I wouldn't worry about any further error for Line 28.

1) how much did the IRS adjust your refund / amount due by? what was the EXACT change

2) what was on Line 30 originally? 

3) what was on Line 28 oriignally?

4) where does the $1054 show up?

@NCperson ok, that makes sense. 

1) TT estimated refund: 6,654 - 5,600 (relief payments already received) = 1,054 adjusted refund amount

2) Line 30  originally: 5,600 (error probably misunderstood a question) but should read 0

3) Line 28: 3,600 ( IRS did NOT take issue with this, only line 30 but I don't understand where the other half of our CTC will show up if not in our refund)

4) 1,054 was listed in the IRS letter titled Adjusted Refund

They listed it as such

Payments you made 5,717.00 -  Taxes you owed 4,663.00 = 1,054.00

so my question is now should there be $3,600 additional in our refund since we only received half thus far? Or was that amount just used to reduce what we owed in the end? 

No.  The 3600 on line 28 is the half you didn't receive.  It is included in your refund or reduced a Tax due.   You already got half.   Line 28 for the Child Tax Credit is right.

@ob2984 - Line 28 IS the $3600 you didn't receive.  You were eligible for $7200 (2 children under 6 years old) less the $3600 you already received (and you verified in your bank statements) leaves the $3600 you are still due, which is Line 28..... Line 28 is part of the 'payments' section, so it was used to reduce what you otherwise would have owed. 

no amendment required.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies